PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 12.10

james5000lucas
November 10th, 2013, 09:08 PM
Is it a wise decision to keep on top of upgrades, and should I do this?
I have no real problem with 12.10 but I preferred my previous version - might have been 10, might have been 11 - as it had a better interface with a techno-phobe like me.
Is it a simple process to upgrade?

ibjsb4
November 10th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Upgrades can go wrong.

You could continue to upgrade until 14.04 comes out in April. 14.04 is a LTS and will be supported for 3 years.

SuperFreak
November 10th, 2013, 10:01 PM
I think support for 14.04 is till 2019 (5 years)

ian-weisser
November 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM
Is it a wise decision to keep on top of upgrades, and should I do this?
I have no real problem with 12.10 but I preferred my previous version - might have been 10, might have been 11 - as it had a better interface with a techno-phobe like me.
Is it a simple process to upgrade?

It is wise to automatically install security updates (that's a setting in Software Center).
All other updates and upgrades are a matter of taste, not wisdom.

If you are really a technophobe, then your taste may not match the upgrade-every-six-months treadmill. Instead, use an LTS (12.04, and soon 14.04), and upgrade every two years instead.

If you enjoy updating (or reinstalling) your system every six months, then the semiannual releases of Ubuntu may be appropriate for you.

Upgrading to a new release of Ubuntu is simple and safe for most users, though it can take an hour or more on some systems to replace the thousands of packages that change between releases. There are always outlier cases of a few users that report problems, data loss, lost functionality, and/or incompatible hardware with an upgrade to a new release of Ubuntu, so be sure to backup your data before upgrading.

craig10x
November 10th, 2013, 11:00 PM
And if you are only running one ubuntu on your computer, there is an even faster (and i think more reliable) way of doing an upgrade rather then using either the software updater or the terminal method...and that is to run a live iso disc of the version you are updating to, and the installer should offer you the option of UPGRADING in addition to a full clean install where all your programs and data get wiped off...That is the method i use...and it is FAST...takes like 25 minutes tops instead of hour(s) depending on your internet connection, and that is because it gets everything directly from the iso, just like it would for a clean install...

Always shut off ppas before doing it of course, and you would need to first upgrade to 13.04 with that disc and then you could upgrade to 13.10 with that disc....
Once you upgrade to 14.04 next April, you could then decide if you want to continue upgrading every 6 months or just go LTS to LTS upgrading every 2 years...

ibjsb4
November 11th, 2013, 06:13 PM
I think support for 14.04 is till 2019 (5 years)

No, every other LTS has 5 years of support. The next one will be 16.04 with 5 years of support.

SuperFreak
November 11th, 2013, 07:03 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

see chart on wki page 14.04 appears to have 5 years support for desktop version

A new LTS version is released every 2 years. In previous releases, a Long Term Support (LTS) version had 3 years support on Ubuntu (Desktop) and 5 years on Ubuntu Server. Starting with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, both versions will receive 5 years support.

ibjsb4
November 12th, 2013, 05:47 PM
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS

see chart on wki page 14.04 appears to have 5 years support for desktop version

Wow, and just when I thought I new it all :D