PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Numlock on login in 13.10 - numlockx not working

tompiedom
November 10th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Hello,

I'm trying to activate my numlock by default on my login screen, but it's not working.
Like many people have suggested already, I tried to add greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on (and yes numlockx is available at that location :)).
Unfortunately I still have to activate numlock manually at login.

Strange side-effect, I have to press numlock twice to actually activate the numeric keys, with or without the setup-script.

There's no option to set in my BIOS, and I haven't activated any particular keyboard settings myself.

For your information: I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 (upgrade from 13.04) with the default dashboard.

Many thanks already for your suggestions!

Tom

stinkeye
November 10th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Where are you putting "greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on"?
In Saucy I don't have an /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, which was what I used in Raring, so I put it into
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-unity-greeter.conf

tompiedom
November 10th, 2013, 02:29 PM
I did try both of those files, but nothing seems to work.

stinkeye
November 10th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Does the /usr/bin/numlockx on command work when you run in terminal?

tompiedom
November 10th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Yes it does:

$ numlockx on
$ numlockx status
Numlock is on

I just realised that the title might suggest that. Numlockx is working, the scripted solution with numlockx doesn't work.

tompiedom
November 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM
While I was trying out suggestions on this site (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NumLock) I noticed something strange.
When I start typing a number, numlock is active by default. But when I start typing my password, which starts with a non-digit character, numlock is disabled...

So lets say my password is 1$pec1al, I would type 1$pecal.