PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] .xsession-errors

nLpPyXR
November 9th, 2013, 09:09 PM
My apologies if this thread doesn't belong in the desktop environments forum; I figured it would.

Ok so I'm running Lubuntu 13.10, and every time I log in, there are 2 files generated in my home folder:

.xsession-errors

Script for cjkv started at run_im.
Script for default started at run_im.

and .xsession-errors.old

init: lxsession main process (1437) terminated with status 1

is this to be expected? or can I fix it somehow?

ajgreeny
November 9th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Yes, it's quite normal.

On my system the xsession-errors file starts at a size of about 1.8KB and may grow to be as much as 12 - 20KB depending on how many, if any, errors have occurred during the session. Errors and warnings can occasionally be quite useful at figuring out answers to problems that may be happening in the background without you being aware of them, so I look carefully at the file occasionally and then search out answers to the errors mentioned. Often they are the result of trying to play a corrupt downloaded video file and will say something about "vlc blah-blah-etc etc" which I was aware of as the file would not play, or similar situations.

Your files, if that is all they contain are very tiny compared with anything I've seen, and I do not think you need to worry about anything you are seeing in those two files unless they grow exponentially, as can happen when big display (xsession) problems arise.

The xsession-errors.old file is simply a backup of the file which is saved every time you shutdown an xsession.

vasa1
November 10th, 2013, 03:18 AM
I'd go with ajgreeny's explanation.

FWIW, I have exactly the same .xsession-errors content as you do although my .xsessions-errors.old has one more line:

init: upstart-dbus-session-bridge main process (4510) terminated with status 1
init: lxsession main process (4492) killed by TERM signal
Lubuntu 13.10, 64-bit

nLpPyXR
November 10th, 2013, 04:14 AM
Hmm, alrighty; thank you ajgreeny and vasa1. Guess I'll just ignore those files from now on...

vasa1
November 10th, 2013, 06:09 AM
@nLpPyXR, I think aj's reply has solved your question and so, IMO, you should use the "Thread Tools" to mark the thread "Solved". See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads for how to do so.

nLpPyXR
November 10th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Oh I've already started and "ended" a couple of threads before, I just didn't think this needed to be marked as solved since there was nothing TO solve technically.

But ok, marked as solved for the sake of forum etiquette.