PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install doesn't work

karldstencell
November 8th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Hi,

I want to be able to have a full Ubuntu installation alongside my Windows 7 installation where I don't have to use a USB or CD to run Ubuntu.

I downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (.iso) and used LinuxLive USB Creator to be able to boot from the USB drive so I could install the full thing. So I get into Ubuntu and it asks to try Ubuntu or to install the whole thing (due to some wireless problems I just plugged in an Ethernet cable and I can use the internet). I click install and it goes through a series of loading screens and full screen prompts doing it's thing BUT THEN when it restarts itself and runs Ubuntu again it asks to try or install like nothing happened and it doesn't give me an error. I have about 600G of free memory on my hard drive so it shouldn't be the problem.

There's a desktop icon to install the whole program and I clicked that but it just freezes and seems like a dead end.

Please help me install a full version.

Thanks,
Karl

Bucky Ball
November 8th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Are you still booting from the USB after install? Once you have done the install, the machine should ask you to take out the USB and the system will reboot.

Sounds like you are rebooting back to the USB. Take it out and reboot. (You can enter the BIOS and set the machine to boot from the hard drive you have installed to, and not the USB.)

mastablasta
November 8th, 2013, 08:12 AM
does the windows maybe have 4 primary partitions taken? please post an screenshot from windows disk manager. i suspect you need to convert one of the partitions into seconary one and thenshrink it to get osmefree disk space for install.

EDIT: disregard this post. instead, follow the instructions above! remove the installation media and reboot.

karldstencell
November 8th, 2013, 08:49 AM
When I boot up from the drive now it gets stuck on the loading screen and when I hit esc I the last line of code something about making a live user. What do I do now?

mastablasta
November 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM
did you install any additional drivers maybe? what are the system specs?

Also before that last line where it get's stuck is there any error line?