PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Two Windows entries on Grub2

Thomas Oliveira
November 6th, 2013, 03:23 AM
Hi!

After installing Ubuntu and running Boot-Repair, I have these two Windows entries on /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

menuentry "Windows Boot UEFI loader" {
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root A62E-0230
chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

menuentry "Windows Boot Manager (UEFI on /dev/sda2)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_gpt
insmod fat
set root='hd0,gpt2'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt2 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt2 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt2 A62E-0230
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root A62E-0230
fi
chainloader /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
}

Could you please tell me what is the difference between them and which one I should use?
(I have already searched for it on grub2 documentation but I had not really understood the differences).

Thanks!

oldfred
November 6th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Is this 13.10?
Only the very newest Ubuntu has a fix for a bug where grub only created BIOS boot entries that did not work with UEFI. So Boot-Repair adds correct entries in 25_custom. But if you have the new version maybe grub2's os-prober is creating a correct entry now?

grub2's os-prober creates wrong style (BIOS) chain boot entry
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/1024383

os-prober fix in grub2_2.00-14 and os-prober_1.58 from Debian

If you want to houseclean some entries or change them, info is in link in my signature.

Thomas Oliveira
November 23rd, 2013, 06:53 PM
It is 13.10, grub2_2.00-19ubuntu2.1 and os-prober_1.61ubuntu1.

I don't know if this can be the reason for this problem, but just to let you know:

in order to be able to boot on GRUB on my HP notebook, I had
moved /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi and
copied /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

After that, I had edited /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober replacig references to /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi by /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/bootmgfw.efi

Anyway, I followed the instructions found in your message in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295

added GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true to /etc/default/grub

run update-grub and everything is fine now.

Thanks!