PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to fix bug 1159016 (can't make 13.10 Live USB persistent)

LinuxVirgin2000
November 5th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Hi, there is a bug that when making Live USB with 12.10 onwards files and settings are not saved when booting on a UEFI computer.

there is a way to fix this bug as discussed here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usb-creator/+bug/1159016

quote from the above link:
"Thanks Fred. Yes the fix is simple enough, add the word "persistent" to the /boot/grub/grub.cfg vmlinuz kernel lines."

Can someone please explain to me in baby terms how to actually do this! I typed "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" into nautilus but nothing was found.

thanks in advance!

ubfan1
November 6th, 2013, 04:02 AM
On the live media itself, there should be a /boot directory, with a single grub directory in it. You should be able to see this from any other running computer. If you are running the live media, I think the stick will be mounted under /cdrom (not sure about this). So try looking under /cdrom/boot/grub/grub.cfg.
The lines to change look like this (with some slight alterations):
linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
Add the word "persistent" just after "casper"
All this assumes that you actually created the stick with persistence (which still works on non-uefi machines.)

LinuxVirgin2000
November 8th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Hi, thank you very much for replying to my question.

I have tried your suggestion, I tried typing persistent after casper with no space, them with a space, then with a . and then with a /, each time a error message came up after selecting "try ubuntu without installing" when trying to boot.

how exactly am i supposed to write persistent? does it need any symbol between itself and the word casper?

would it help if i find out what the error message is that comes up and tell you it?

thanks again for you help :)

ubfan1
November 8th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Hmmm, don't have one to look at anymore, but maybe the location is more critical than I thought. An older 10.04 example I have puts the word persistent right before the file=, like:
linux /casper/vmlinuz.efi persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash

LinuxVirgin2000
November 10th, 2013, 07:53 PM
thanks that last one works perfectly! :)