PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] UEFI Turned Off... 64 Bit Still Necessary?

nnjrob2
November 5th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Hello, I recently purchased a laptop with Windows 8 installed. I know Ubuntu requires a 64 bit install for use on a UEFI windows dual boot. If I have UEFI turned off, can I use a 32 bit?
I have a game I'm addicted to, that STILL won't work with 64 bit linux.

mastablasta
November 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM
what game? why won't it it work in 64 bit? with 64bit you just install the 32 bit libraries and 32 bit stuff usually works then...

Bucky Ball
November 5th, 2013, 05:20 PM
with 64bit you just install the 32 bit libraries and 32 bit stuff usually works then...

+1. Are you sure it works in 32bit? Could be a wild goose chase as maybe it just doesn't work or there is a problems that has nothing to do with **bit.

oldfred
November 5th, 2013, 05:49 PM
The only way you could use 32bit would be to totally turn off UEFI and turn on CSM/BIOS/Legacy boot mode.

Then to boot a 32 bit Ubuntu you would have to go into UEFI and turn on the CSM and UEFI off. Then to boot Windows or a 64 bit UEFI install turn off CSM and turn UEFI on. Not the easiest way to dual boot but possible.

Don't ship 32-bit UEFI firmware on x86
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/26734.html

nnjrob2
November 7th, 2013, 05:19 PM
what game? why won't it it work in 64 bit? with 64bit you just install the 32 bit libraries and 32 bit stuff usually works then...

You're right. I found a list of additional stuff that wasn't added by default(on the site for the game). Added it, and all works well, with a 64 bit install. One more hurdle, for a different thread. Thanks All, marking this one solved