PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] '(Initramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system'

DHaslam
November 4th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I am new to the Ubuntu community.

I have just downloaded the ISO file for the latest version of Ubuntu desktop (V13.10 32 bit) and burnt a DVD.

I am trying to run Ubuntu directly from the DVD to try and recover some files from a linux disc taken from a failed NAS box.

When I try and boot from the DVD, I get the initial loading screens and then after a couple of minutes I get a message "(Initramfs) Uanable to find a medium containing a live file system" and the boot process just hangs.

Please advise on how to proceed.

coffeecat
November 4th, 2013, 12:16 PM
First things to check are whether you have a faulty disc or corrupted download. Did you check the md5sum on the downloaded ISO? There's a link to the Ubuntu hashes on this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Also - you can check the DVD integrity before it boots. Going from memory here, but start up with the DVD and as soon as you see the purple screen with the two icons at the bottom, tap the space bar, then choose your language, after which you'll see a menu with a disc check as one of the choices.