PDA

View Full Version : Daylight savings time

echotech2
November 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM
The announcer said on the radio "Clocks go back one hour at 2am tomorrow morning as Daylight Saving Time ends". Why do I have to get up at 2am to set my clocks back?

BlinkinCat
November 3rd, 2013, 12:35 PM
The announcer said on the radio "Clocks go back one hour at 2am tomorrow morning as Daylight Saving Time ends". Why do I have to get up at 2am to set my clocks back?

Hi,

I suspect that you may be jesting - are you ?

Here comes the answer then - all you need remember is to set your clocks back an hour just before you go to bed - :P

The Cog
November 3rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
If you don't do it at 2:00 then they will be wrong! Can you imagine the horror of waking up at 3am and realising that all your clocks are wrong? You would never be able to get back to sleep.

Elfy
November 3rd, 2013, 01:44 PM
If you don't do it at 2am you have to wait 6 months.

stalkingwolf
November 3rd, 2013, 02:00 PM
I live in Az i dont have to do it at all. Most of az doesnt mess with that foolishness.

sffvba[e0rt
November 3rd, 2013, 02:03 PM
I also stay in a part of the world where time is more stable and we don't need to compensate for it by changing the clocks.

Frogs Hair
November 3rd, 2013, 02:27 PM
http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/history.html

QDR06VV9
November 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
If you don't do it at 2am you have to wait 6 months.

I'm just sitting here with a BIG Grin..:D

Elfy
November 3rd, 2013, 02:34 PM
What I particularly like about 'this' 6 months is everyone seems to put meeting times in UTC - until March I can just read the time and not have to do any converting :)

Not that adding 1 is all that onerous ...

Linuxratty
November 3rd, 2013, 07:16 PM
If you don't do it at 2:00 then they will be wrong! Can you imagine the horror of waking up at 3am and realising that all your clocks are wrong? You would never be able to get back to sleep.
:shock:Oh the horror!:D
I hate it,I've always hated it. There is mumbling in the states of pitching the whole mess in the dust bin. I could go with this plan.:D

Elfy
November 3rd, 2013, 07:27 PM
:shock:Oh the horror!:D
I hate it,I've always hated it. There is mumbling in the states of pitching the whole mess in the dust bin. I could go with this plan.:D

We get similar things now and again here in the UK, currently the latest is go +1 in 'a' March then leave it - put's us more in line with Europe.

Luckily I am much too young to remember Double Summer Time - they tried that in the early 70s I think (and all sorts of time fiddling between 1939-45)

I tend to wake up at the same time anyway - regardless of what time they call it - I'm just glad they don't call it 2am :p

Frogs Hair
November 3rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
I tend to wake up at the same time anyway - regardless of what time they call it

So much for the extra hour of sleep when you wake up anyway.

Linuxratty
November 3rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
We get similar things now and again here in the UK, currently the latest is go +1 in 'a' March then leave it - put's us more in line with Europe.

We play poker every Sat. with a friend in Scotland. When Scotland falls back and before we fall back,there is 4 hours between Scotland and us,which is really nice. Well,time will tell how all this is sorted out. I hope you go with it and maybe it will cause other countries to follow suite.

QDR06VV9
November 4th, 2013, 01:33 AM
There is mumbling in the states of pitching the whole mess in the dust bin. I could go with this plan.:D

I'm 60 Years Young and they have threatened that since I can remember.
And it's still here..Sheesh.. Dustbin +1:)

ian-weisser
November 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Why do I have to get up at 2am to set my clocks back?

Because the voice told you to.
Do everything the voices tell you to do.

Linuxratty
November 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM
I'm 60 Years Young and they have threatened that since I can remember.
And it's still here..Sheesh.. Dustbin +1:)

It is indeed. No spring chicken here either btw.:D

The Cog
November 4th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I must say, if people want to get up an hour earlier in the summer, I don't see why they don't just get up an hour earlier in the summer. Why mess around with the clocks? Is changing the alarm time that much harder than changing the clock time?

eriktheblu
November 5th, 2013, 12:18 AM
I endorse doing away with not only clock changes, but time zones.

With the current levels of near instantaneous international commerce it only makes sense to have everyone on the same time standard. What does it matter if the sun comes up at 0600 or 1600?

craig10x
November 5th, 2013, 03:31 AM
@Elfy: I didn't do it at 2 AM...so i am an hour ahead...doesn't that mean i am living in the future? :D

coldraven
November 5th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I read that an American guy thought that global warming was caused by making the days longer in the summer. FAIL :)

Elfy
November 5th, 2013, 08:55 AM
@Elfy: I didn't do it at 2 AM...so i am an hour ahead...doesn't that mean i am living in the future? :D

I knew you were going to say that ...

QIII
November 5th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Heck. I just set my alarm for next Spring and I'm sleeping in 'til then.

'course my bladder my wake me up in December.

Elfy
November 5th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Heck. I just set my alarm for next Spring and I'm sleeping in 'til then.

'course my bladder will wake me up in repeatedly.

Fixed that for you :lol:

christopher-lees
November 5th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I must say, if people want to get up an hour earlier in the summer, I don't see why they don't just get up an hour earlier in the summer. Why mess around with the clocks? Is changing the alarm time that much harder than changing the clock time?

Not everybody can start work an hour earlier and finish an hour earlier! Especially if you're a parent and have to take your children to school. The point of daylight saving is not to get up an hour earlier, it's to move the daylight to the evening instead of to the morning.

Might I just add that, as long as you're using Ubuntu, you don't need to change your clock. The tzdata package already knows when you have daylight saving, and changes the clock for you.

Your phone probably gets its time from the cellular network too, which means it will automatically change.

Bucky Ball
November 5th, 2013, 02:37 PM
When I was a kid and daylight savings first started it took my mother about an hour to explain that no, it didn't mean school now started at 10:00 and not 9:00. I just couldn't figure it.

The clocks might say one thing, but I knew what the real time was! At 2AM the clock might go forward an hour to show 3AM, but I knew it was really 2AM. Therefore, 10AM was the real 9AM and that was that in my tiny mind! Maybe that's when my mind started twisting ... ;)

But no biggie. Once I realised that in six months it would go back to being the real time again, I calmed down.