PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Where is the shutdown button in Unity anyway?

Jim_Granite
November 2nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
OK. So I've had Unity on for about two weeks now, and have worked through most of the major issues (or just changed my use model to fit).
One thing that should be really simple is shutting down and rebooting gracefully.
Sure, I can hold the power button, or I can open an xterminal and type "shutdown -h now" or "reboot"; but, what's the graceful way with Unity?

coffeecat
November 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM
Cogwheel icon - top right. Click on it. A few useful things including shut down. If you choose shutdown it then offers you the choice of shutdown or reboot.

Jim_Granite
November 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Cogwheel icon - top right.

Ohhh... Duh!

I never clicked on anything in the top right of the screen!
(I'm not used to anything being there, since I put all my desktop items on the sides of my HD screen!)

Even on Windows, I have nothing on the top and bottom (e.g., the task bar is on the side, as is the system tray).

So, it didn't even occur to me to click on that window dressing on the top right, taking up valuable space in the up:down direction!

Clicking that cog wheel, I see Logout, Suspend, Restart, and Shut Down. Yup. That's what I was looking for.

I'll mark this solved, but, one last question, since that "stuff" rightfully belongs in the left-side Launcher, would be how to move it where it belongs.
But, I'll first try to figure that out on my own, and, if I can't, I'll open a separate thread on putting that "stuff" (whatever it's called) where it doesn't waste valuable vertical screen space.

grahammechanical
November 5th, 2013, 06:31 PM
Who says it rightfully belongs on the Launcher? Who has the right to put this "stuff" where they want it? The developers that is who. They are, after all, the ones doing all the work. They are not going to lose customers over issues like this, because they do not have any customers. Do they?

This kind of issue is a matter of personal preference. For every person who wants something somewhere else there will be others who disagree.

philinux
November 5th, 2013, 06:45 PM
Any time you seen a gear icon it means options. In the past there were two panels top and bottom taking up vertical space. How it is now is great for wide screen monitors.

Shutdown icon was always on top panel by default. Think it was on right too IIRC.

coffeecat
November 5th, 2013, 06:49 PM
But, I'll first try to figure that out on my own, and, if I can't, I'll open a separate thread on putting that "stuff" (whatever it's called) where it doesn't waste valuable vertical screen space.

I really don't know whether you can remove the top panel in Unity, but a lot of thought has gone into it by the design people. One thing you need to think about is that if you were to remove the top panel, you would save no vertical space at all. The top panel also includes the global menu. Get rid of the global menu, and the application menus would have to go somewhere - specifically the application windows. To accommodate the application menus, the application windows would have to be taller by the same number of pixels you would save by removing the top panel. Overall saving = zero.

The "stuff" is the indicator area. It works very well for me. Putting all that in the launcher would be clunky, imo. It's no co-incidence that Apple MacOS puts the indicators in exactly the same place as Unity.