PDA

View Full Version : Firefox problems after update, ubuntu 12.04

Joleen
November 2nd, 2013, 05:25 PM
Dear all,
after an ordinary update from update manager, firefox asked me for a restart. I did hit the restart button, and it crashed, so I restarted the computer.
After this, firefox icon was missing from everywhere.
I called firefox from root and it worked.
But no history, no bookmarks, and the thing is that I was working and I desperately need my browsing history.
I tried updating again using terminal and rebooting, nothing changed. Everything works normally, but firefox is missing and I can only call it from root, and then its a brand new firefox with no history..what happened? any chances to get my history and bookmarks back? :(
I have not tried to reinstall and install firefox again, because I am afraid this is gonna be a fatality for my history.
Thanks a lot in advance...

Joleen
November 2nd, 2013, 05:35 PM
Well I called it from my user profile and here it is, my good old firefox. So alarm for history was false.
The icon is still missing though.
Any ideas how to get it back are welcome.
Thank you, and sorry for the false alarm.

heir4c
November 2nd, 2013, 11:59 PM
When you open FireFox, there is not an icon in the Launcher? If there is one you can right click on it to pin it to the Launcher.
Make also a Backup of the .mozilla folder. Open your home folder and click Ctrl+H and than you see the hidden folders. Now you can backup the .mozilla folder. So if you loose some day your bookmarks and settings you can get them back with move the backup folder to your home folder. Even if you do a new install you can use this folder and your bookmarks and add-ons are directly in action.

Joleen
November 3rd, 2013, 12:45 AM
oh, no. No mozilla icon, no mozilla in the hidden folders, no nothing. Running through terminal though...:) several reboots and updates after, the problem persists.
isn't it strange?

heir4c
November 3rd, 2013, 01:03 AM
Very strange.
Are all the other hidden folders (and files) yet in your home folder or not?