PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Life Working Out OK For You?

Bezmotivnik
July 18th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Seems like a strange question, I'm sure, but I really wonder how people see their lives -- and the userbase here is pretty demographically wide.

There are no right or wrong answers here, folks; I'm just curious.

matthew
July 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I love my life.

guopai
July 18th, 2006, 11:07 PM
It depends on how to look at it, from different angle. I just quit a job - having conflict with employer, but that give me plenty of time to play with Linux (I'm a new Ubuntu user - just less than one month). It's lose and gain at the same time. I can say I'm happy and OK with life as it is now, but realize must plan and thrive for future.

taurus
July 18th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Just give me a computer running Linux with a fast network connection and leave me the hell alone... [-(

guopai
July 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Just give me a computer running Linux with a fast network connection and leave me the hell alone... [-(

Yeah.. totally agree!

ember
July 18th, 2006, 11:16 PM
I'd say, I'm quite at ease with my life. Altough I work about 45 to 50 hours a week at the moment (diploma thesis + examination + work), I'm actually doing what I like.
And nowadays I tend to a rather relaxed attitude that tells me:
"There is not too many problems that cannot be dealt with a beer and a good sense of humor"

Koori23
July 18th, 2006, 11:35 PM
"There is not too many problems that cannot be dealt with a beer and a good sense of humor"

This is true, and this is my own attitude toward work/life. Unfortunately, my customers have beer (Ironically, it's Budweiser) but.. They do not have a sense of humor. One customer, Trojan (Seriously, the condom people) send me a box of 5000 condoms every year at Christmas. I give them away to pretty much everyone I meet. What am I, some sort of manwhore? What am I going to do with 5000 condoms?

Seriously though, my life is hectic... Making upper mgmt at 24 has it's drawbacks, but the people who work for me always cheer me up. So, I'd say my life is going prety well at this point. House, Car, Bigscreen, Girlfriend, parents who are hilarious.. Can't really complain too much.

John.Michael.Kane
July 18th, 2006, 11:42 PM
My life hmm No Comment.

KLineD
July 18th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Ever since I was in University, I found myself changing residence and/or city pretty often. I graduated and now because of work I tend to move a lot so I'm looking for some stability.

Right now I was just accepted into a master degree program were I get paid to study my degree so I'm quitting my job and finally settle down for at least 2 years while I get my degree and possibly a third year if I decide to go for the phd.

So I'm very happy, my girlfriend is very happy and everything seems to be sorting out the way I want it.

henriquemaia
July 18th, 2006, 11:48 PM
I think most replies will tend to reflect the age of the poster. As the age count gets bigger, the less you'll be overwhelmed by the life you have.

Try to picture an old person, where lots of his dear ones have died through the natural course of life - it's something we can't run away.

Also, this will, of course, depend on his social/religious and, ultimately, his/her luck.

And how about my life? I don't even know, but I don't think that matters much.

Derek Djons
July 18th, 2006, 11:57 PM
I think most replies will tend to reflect the age of the poster. As the age count gets bigger, the less you'll be overwhelmed by the life you have.

Try to picture an old person, where lots of his dear ones have died through the natural course of life - it's something we can't run away.

Also, this will, of course, depend on his social/religious and, ultimately, his/her luck.

And how about my life? I don't even know, but I don't think that matters much.

I agree with you!

back on-topic. I think I've finally sorted out my life, being 22 years old. I've been into computers since the first one I got. I was always convinced that hardware and software were the thing for me! Boy was I wrong. After a study which I had to abandon because I failed some programming exams I started thinking about what next. Luckily for me I got into a new job, met new people and started thinking what I wanted to do with my life.

Suddenly on a day I realized I have been making photographs for three years already. So I've bought a new Canon EOS 350D and quite some lenses and stuff, I am waiting to apply to a photographers study next year and except Linux and Mac OS X I don't want to be dealing with computers anymore :)

hizaguchi
July 19th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Yeah, it rocks. Couldn't be happier.

pchr
July 19th, 2006, 12:29 AM
Depends on what aspect of my life I'm thinking about at the time, range from 1 to 9 out of 10, average a 5 or 6 probably. Not reached nirvana but not about to throw myself under a bus.

Nice topic by the way.

ember
July 19th, 2006, 12:31 AM
This is true, and this is my own attitude toward work/life. Unfortunately, my customers have beer (Ironically, it's Budweiser) but..

I hope, it's the Czech one, you really cannot drink the American one ;) (no offense meant)

Engnome
July 19th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it rocks. Couldn't be happier.

+1 :D Just longing back to school, I want more programming courses!

djsroknrol
July 19th, 2006, 12:41 AM
To quote a friend of mine:

I might be going to hell in a handbasket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

I've been very blessed in my life, and continue to recieve many blessings....

Iandefor
July 19th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Life? What's that?

*crawls back out of sunlight*

woedend
July 19th, 2006, 02:00 AM
uh...
I work all day somedays, but somedays just don't feel like working at all. I go in, come home, go help someone else do something because people always ask me for help(1 because they know I'll do it, 2 because I have a truck). Then I come home, look at the forums or watch tv and drink beer and fall asleep, then do it again the next day. Yeah things are going ok.

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 02:13 AM
job i love - teaching people how to sing (beats the fork out of real work), lovely home, nice wife and a beautiful son (he's actually a cat)? you tell me.

elgalad525
July 19th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I like to think so :D

I'm currently studying for biochemistry honours.

But then again, I have no social life and work 12 hours a day, seven days a week, so that's maybe not so good :-?

Cheers

woedend
July 19th, 2006, 03:17 AM
fuscia were you like a pro singer at one time or something?

K.Mandla
July 19th, 2006, 03:17 AM
The middle word in LIFE is IF. ...

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 03:35 AM
fuscia were you like a pro singer at one time or something?

still am, on occassion. i'm pretty apathetic about pursuing oppurtunity though, so teaching works for me.

woedend
July 19th, 2006, 04:20 AM
let me ask then, how exactly do you teach someone to sing? Because I certainly would LOVE to learn, but it seems to me more inherent than anything, some people just have a beautiful voice, and some people sound like me :p.

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 04:23 AM
let me ask then, how exactly do you teach someone to sing? Because I certainly would LOVE to learn, but it seems to me more inherent than anything, some people just have a beautiful voice, and some people sound like me :p.

anyone can learn to sing. singing is deceptive, so what appears to make sense, doesn't work. when it doesn't work, most people assume they just don't have a good voice. it never occurs to them that they are doing it wrongly.

carl13
July 19th, 2006, 04:39 AM
To quote a friend of mine:

I might be going to hell in a handbasket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

I've been very blessed in my life, and continue to recieve many blessings....

Is this your friend?

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Music/Garcia/JerryOutside.jpeg

woedend
July 19th, 2006, 04:43 AM
ok fuscia enough with the riddles...what exactly do you mean? I'm not asking for lessons, but can you elaborate a little on your last post or perhaps give me some advice? What kind of singing do you teach(IE what genre?). I wouldnt want to sing opera type or anything, just some old aerosmith/cars/ted nugent(ok but ted nugent cant sing)

Iandefor
July 19th, 2006, 04:47 AM
ok fuscia enough with the riddles...what exactly do you mean? I'm not asking for lessons, but can you elaborate a little on your last post or perhaps give me some advice? What kind of singing do you teach(IE what genre?). I wouldnt want to sing opera type or anything, just some old aerosmith/cars/ted nugent(ok but ted nugent cant sing) No riddles in what Fuscia's saying. It's pretty straightforward. It takes practice and skill to sing well. I imagine Fuscia teaches people how to prepare their voices for singing.

woedend
July 19th, 2006, 04:52 AM
Hey...it was a riddle and I demand explanation!!!! out with it fuscia!!
good singing doesnt always take practice or skill, though. My friend can sing Madonna songs beautifully and never really tries.

henriquemaia
July 19th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Hey...it was a riddle and I demand explanation!!!! out with it fuscia!!
good singing doesnt always take practice or skill, though. My friend can sing Madonna songs beautifully and never really tries.

The voice is like any other instrument - it can be learned. It's the most natural instrument of all, because it's with us all the time. You can learn to project your voice, singing louder with less effort, you can learn to give it more expression, to make vibrato, portamentos and other techniques.

fuscia
July 19th, 2006, 04:59 AM
ok fuscia enough with the riddles...what exactly do you mean? I'm not asking for lessons, but can you elaborate a little on your last post or perhaps give me some advice? What kind of singing do you teach(IE what genre?). I wouldnt want to sing opera type or anything, just some old aerosmith/cars/ted nugent(ok but ted nugent cant sing)

i teach anything (think of me as the netbsd of voice teachers). you may not have a voice for aerosmith, just as playing cliffs of dover on a bass is retarded. try recording yourself. the biggest obstacle to singing well is not realizing how different what you hear is from what everyone else hears. it comes down to concept. if you have the wrong concept, the muscles in your larynx will react and there are no local overrides that will work for very long. change your concept of how to sing and you will change your singing.

Bezmotivnik
July 19th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Gee guys, thanks for the thread hijack![-(

woedend
July 19th, 2006, 05:45 AM
hello sorry for the hijack friend but one more question. So assuming I would record and listen and make changes, is there a specific technique for actually "changing" your voice...ie slow gradual vs contrasting styles, tone/pitch/. and whats this sing from the diaphragm thing, never understood that.

The Noble
July 19th, 2006, 05:56 AM
Life is going pretty nice so far (Only 16, not like I'm very far into it). Struggling with philosophies and how I am going to live my life. Used to be depressed(and pissed) a lot, but that is largely sorted out. Profession, beliefs, and love life are all a swirling puddle right now.

DoktorSeven
July 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Seems like a strange question, I'm sure, but I really wonder how people see their lives -- and the userbase here is pretty demographically wide.
Oh, sure, I'm the only one stuck in a terrible situation with no means of excape. Make me feel bad, why don't you?

;) (Eh, don't worry about me. Things are bad, it's true, but there's really no way to help.)

pchr
July 19th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Warning: my posts may contain trace amounts of lies and/or sarcasm. Please proceed with caution.

Hmmm? ;)

djsroknrol
July 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Hey Carl13...

Actually, it was a neighbor in Las Vegas that use to say that alot...I thought it sounded familiar...:p

Kimm
July 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM
So far, I'm pretty happy with my life :)

Bezmotivnik
July 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Funny...I didn't think the answers would be so nearly all positive.

Maybe it's like all those Hot/Not surveys wherein nearly everybody thinks he's substantially more attractive than average. :mrgreen:

I think that what Henriquemaia said is probably true, though: It's hard to be a pessimist at twenty (though I was) and hard to be an optimist at fifty. Maybe the youth of the users has a lot to do with this, and why I'm not seeing more of the "my psycho ex-wife has been making my life hell for the past ten years, my junkie daughter and her junkie boyfriend broke into my house and stole everything while I was at work and I may not even have a job in a few more weeks because they're talking about shutting down the branch and outsourcing to India...and who's going to hire me at my age? I'm sick all the time and the doctor's making ominous noises..." kind of posts.

But if your life is rough, it's OK to say so. Like I said, there are no right or wrong answers here.

djsroknrol
July 20th, 2006, 01:18 AM
I can't let on about my psycho ex wife...;) (she really IS psycho)..and I don't have any junkie kids to complain about..my health is great, and my Dr. doesn't make sighs or noises...so what's so bad about life?

Spacecaptain
July 20th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Well, let me sum things up this way:
I am still able to learn something new every time i want to, wich is pretty often.
I can still climb up a tree when i feel like it.
The sun shines warm.
I drive a lovely motorcicle, a lovely breeze on my face.
I live near the mediterranean sea, will go sailing anyday soon.
An i have met a girl that has made me change mi mind about the use of being married happily everafter...

I have a huge smile on my face right now, the size of the great wall!!

eriqk
July 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
I'm battling a severish depression, but things seem to be looking brighter every day. It'll be a long road to the top of the mountain but I'm enjoying the view.
The past few months I've learned that good friends are really invaluable. And that a good kick in the rear can really help you on your way.

Groet, Erik

Biltong (Dee)
July 22nd, 2006, 02:05 PM
Life is what you make of it.
A cliche, but true.
If you are so depressed that you see no way out - volunteer to help out at a soup kitchen.

My life is okay.
It could be better, but that could be said for any life. Seeing as I am not going to win the Lottery any time soon I will do the best with what I have.

Bezmotivnik
July 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
Life is what you make of it.
A cliche, but true.
Only sometimes. Only the very lucky are as autonomous as your cliche suggests.

Often, your life is what someone else makes of it.

As an extreme case, some kid catching a rocket in Beirut (http://fromisrael2lebanon.com/). Or Haifa. Or Baghdad.

More predictable: Capricious political oppression, terminal illnesses, family tragedies, gratuitous discrimination, etc., etc. Sometimes your options are very limited or nonexistent. :(

"If a depressed patient walked into his office and said that the world was so grim that he could not face it, he had to treat him as a sick man. Actually, the patient was right -- He no longer had the normal illusions that keep us sane."

-- Gerold Frank on Leo Adler

John.Michael.Kane
July 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
If you are so depressed that you see no way out - volunteer to help out at a soup kitchen.

And some would ask can you pay your morgage/rent doing this. it's fine to help/volunteer ect. however. How does this help a depressed person who is with out job or a life, and feels the same as those who they volunteer to help.

jordilin
July 22nd, 2006, 05:43 PM

I agree with you man. Currently, Linux is like a girlfriend for me :-D

Biltong (Dee)
July 22nd, 2006, 05:54 PM
There are always people out there with worse problems then any one of us.

Why do I say this? Because we have the internet.

This means that either we have money enough for an Internet Provider or money enough to find an Internet Cafe.

Or perhaps we have caring Friends / Family who allow us the pleasure of chatting to others online.

Yet there are others out there who have none of this.

Circumstances (sometimes beyond their control) have forced them into the depths of hell, and thats where the volunteering comes in.

Any charity (dedicated to helping humans) in the world has people, (either professional or religious based) skilled at handling depression, and they would be delighted to accept you and help you recover - especially if you wish to help others.

A soup kitchen worker needs no skills and it is a good way to start helping out.

The phrase "life is what you make of it" may have been a bit too generalised. Perhaps I should have said "help others, and in doing so you help yourself."

That's my philosophy and I'm sticking to it.