PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] A taskbar for xfce

bobzr
October 31st, 2013, 09:26 PM
I would like something like xfce4-taskbar-plugin or DockBarX Xfce Panel plugin, but all I can find in google are dated instructions. I'm using Ubuntu 13.10 with xfce desktop. Is there anything easy to install to mimic the Unity left panel?

Frogs Hair
October 31st, 2013, 11:00 PM
The Dockbarx PPA hasn't been updated for 13.10 yet . I would expect it pretty soon .

bobzr
November 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
The Dockbarx PPA hasn't been updated for 13.10 yet . I would expect it pretty soon .

Thanks, I stay tuned

su:bhatta
November 1st, 2013, 12:25 PM
You can use the Vertical set up of the Xfce taskbar. Make a new one and choose it's settings to be vertical.
I don't remember exactly what it is, but it was there in Ubuntu Studio Xfce desktop.

bobzr
November 1st, 2013, 01:49 PM
You can use the Vertical set up of the Xfce taskbar.

I already tried this. Problem is == taskbar plugin == is nowhere to be found.
The official project page of xfce4-taskbar-plugin (at goodies.xfce.org) says "Since the 4.4 version of the Xfce, the taskbar plugin is shipped with the panel. So there is no need to install any other stuff"

But now the xfce version I have is 4.10.1 and the project page has not been updated since 2007. I can't find this plugin in the available list of the panel.

amanchesterman
November 1st, 2013, 03:47 PM
" Is there anything easy to install to mimic the Unity left panel? "

Umm ... won't the Xfce panel do what you want? If you have the panel at the top of your screen, right-click on it and select 'panel preferences', and then you can add a new panel at the left side of your screen. You can have your installed applications there, show running programs, set it to auto-hide etc. Are there specific functions of the Unity panel that you can't get that way?

su:bhatta
November 1st, 2013, 06:00 PM
I already tried this. Problem is == taskbar plugin == is nowhere to be found.
The official project page of xfce4-taskbar-plugin (at goodies.xfce.org) says "Since the 4.4 version of the Xfce, the taskbar plugin is shipped with the panel. So there is no need to install any other stuff"

But now the xfce version I have is 4.10.1 and the project page has not been updated since 2007. I can't find this plugin in the available list of the panel.

Sorry bobzr, actually Ubuntu Studio installation comes with xfce-goddies installed by default, & hence I was , misled.

Never really cared what version of Xfce was installed.

I believe, thats some customization done for UbuntuStudio distro specifically.