PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Drivers for Lenovo G500 with i3-3110M CPU

michaelbr
October 31st, 2013, 01:22 PM
I'm thinking in buying a Lenovo G500 with i3 3110M CPU, I asked Lenovo and they said they don't have drivers for Linux yet and seems G500 is not a certified hardware yet. But I'm pretty sure that there are lot of G500 owners who has already installed successfully Ubuntu 12.04.3 64bits, which drivers you used to install Ubuntu?

fantab
October 31st, 2013, 05:53 PM
One of my friend has it, but she uses Win7 on it. If I'm not mistaken it has Intel Integrated Graphics. Intel has very good support for Linux. 98% of time Intel Graphics work out of the box with Linux. Search the forum with the model to see if any issues have been reported. WWW seach is also a good place to find some answers.

Good Luck...

xmxx
October 31st, 2013, 08:48 PM
hi i got this laptop with i5 and amd 8750m

it has 2 issues with 12.04 LST
when booted backlight go off (easy to fix it. the hardest think was find out that display and ubunutu is working :) )
I didnt find any working driver for graphic card, yet

tested: sound, wifi, lan, bluetoth, special keys,...
not tested: card reader, dvd, video outputs

michaelbr
November 1st, 2013, 02:12 AM
hi i got this laptop with i5 and amd 8750m

it has 2 issues with 12.04 LST
when booted backlight go off (easy to fix it. the hardest think was find out that display and ubunutu is working :) )
I didnt find any working driver for graphic card, yet

tested: sound, wifi, lan, bluetoth, special keys,...
not tested: card reader, dvd, video outputs
Thanks so much for your reply, one question out of this topic. How do you like Lenovo laptop? I searched net and it said that Lenovo's laptop has problem with battery life, it's just few hours, but other than that, it has pretty good quality. I'd like to know its quality before buying, I'm using currently Asus and it broke down in 6 months, and in 2 years that was under warranty, it broke down at least 3 times, they had to replace the motherboard at one time.

michaelbr
November 1st, 2013, 02:17 AM
One of my friend has it, but she uses Win7 on it. If I'm not mistaken it has Intel Integrated Graphics. Intel has very good support for Linux. 98% of time Intel Graphics work out of the box with Linux. Search the forum with the model to see if any issues have been reported. WWW seach is also a good place to find some answers.

Good Luck...
Sorry, forgot to quote. Thanks for your reply, I'll search the net as suggested. Do you know if your friend liked her Lenovo? Did she have any hardware problem with Lenovo?

xmxx
November 1st, 2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks so much for your reply, one question out of this topic. How do you like Lenovo laptop? I searched net and it said that Lenovo's laptop has problem with battery life, it's just few hours, but other than that, it has pretty good quality. I'd like to know its quality before buying, I'm using currently Asus and it broke down in 6 months, and in 2 years that was under warranty, it broke down at least 3 times, they had to replace the motherboard at one time.
Its my second lenovo ideapad laptop.
First one was G550 i worked fine 4 years (and it still working) - I replaced battery after 2 years (25$ from ebay), a power supply (my mistake 15$ aftermarket). Battery life of this was 3.5hours of working (internet and openoffice) .
The new one can last 3,5hours too(with no drive to GPU issue). It isnt that much as ultrabooks, but its cheap laptop and for me its long enouth.

michaelbr
November 2nd, 2013, 03:55 AM
Its my second lenovo ideapad laptop.
First one was G550 i worked fine 4 years (and it still working) - I replaced battery after 2 years (25$ from ebay), a power supply (my mistake 15$ aftermarket). Battery life of this was 3.5hours of working (internet and openoffice) .
The new one can last 3,5hours too(with no drive to GPU issue). It isnt that much as ultrabooks, but its cheap laptop and for me its long enouth.
Thanks for your input, now I'm more relaxed with this brand. Good luck to you.