PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Converting a WIN XP dualboot with Linux Mint Mate 15 to Linux based OS with WIN in VM

henkvdbeukel
October 29th, 2013, 12:19 AM
I am new in Linux and just managed to install Linux Mint Mate 15 in a dualboot system on my DELL Optiplex 740 running on Windows XP service pack 3. Switching between both OS requires, however, to re-boot each time.
I read somewhere, that it is possible to switch between Linux and Windows without re-booting each time when installing Windows as a VM in a Linux based system.
Is there some tutorial telling me how to establish that (I could not find a match in this forum archive) or could someone tell me how to do that?

Henk van den Beukel

sudodus
October 29th, 2013, 05:18 PM
It it possible to use VirtualBox to set up a virtual machine and run Windows in that machine. I have a computer with similar specs, the CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ and there is 2GB RAM. It works well (of course slower because the virtualization). You can easily find at lot of information if you browse for VirtualBox tutorial or something similar.

example: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox