PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update of 13.04 has broken workspaces and more.

dondeel8888
October 28th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Running 13.04 64-bit on a Dell laptop for the past 6 months without problems.

This morning I was prompted to update my software (which I hadn't done for several weeks) and I did so. Note that this was just an update of 13.04 NOT an upgrade to 13.10.

After the update it prompted me to reboot which I did, and after the reboot there are MAJOR changes in the UI.

1) My launcher was completely reset and now only contains a few default items like firefox and thunderbird.
2) The bar at the top of the screen now contains the word "Activities" at the left and when I launch an app, it appears next to that work.
3) The launcher is not present on the screen but only appears if I select the "Activities" button at the top left or press the Super button.
3a) Application menus no longer appear in the top bar. The app appears maximized in the area under the top bar with all of it's menus in that window as though Unity was not running but Compiz Config indicates that it is running.
4) Many of my preferences have been reset both in the Ubuntu preferences and in the Compiz preferences.
5) I can no longer change the number of workspaces defined.
5a) I've tried setting it with the normal Compiz settings in the General Controls menu without luck.
5b) I've searched the Ubuntu preferences to see if there was something new there that overrides it without luck.
5c) When I first updated, I only had 2 workspaces, both vertical with no horizontal workspaces at all but after fiddling with Prefs and Compiz Prefs it changed to 3 vertical and then 4 vertical but never to what I wanted and/or set Compiz to. I normally use 2 vertical and 4 horizontal.

As a general comment, I don't expect such a radical "update" during these frequent updates. This update has broken a lot of things that will take me hours to straighten out. This is a work environment and it's costing me a great deal of time to try to fix. Ubuntu has been pretty stable for me up until now but this is unacceptable!

I REALLY need to get my workspace working again ASAP! The rest I can straighten out over time.

--------------------------------

Since no one has been able to answer my questions, is there a way that I can back out the update that I installed?

One other piece of information - I upgraded my home system last night from 12.10 to 13.04 (which is the version I'm having trouble with at work). The upgrade went smoothly and when finished, does not exhibit any of the problems that I'm having on my work system. So it appears that the problem is specific to my work system.

--------------------------------

I still have not gotten any responses from anyone on any of the questions raised above. I upgraded by home system to 13.10 last night and had no issues. Because it is difficult working without use of the workspaces, I opted to upgrade this broken 13.04 environment to 13.10 this morning. The upgrade went smoothly and when it was done my system was basically restored to what it had been with workspaces working again. The only odd thing is that my default login was in Gnome mode (whereas I was using Unity before all this broke) and the desktop background shows the "Ubuntu - Gnome" logo. Resetting my login to Ubuntu mode seems to have resolved most of the issues other than a crash I experienced a few minutes ago.