PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 13.10 Appmenu woes

El Zoido
October 28th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Hello all!

I recently upgraded to 13.10 64bit and discovered some issues with the appmenu ("global menu").
Last version I used was 12.04, where I had uninstalled it completely - I'm not really a big fan of the appmenu, since I believe that on large monitors it's main contribution to usability is to increase mouse travel.
However, on 13.10 I ran into some issues:
1) Nautilus/Files (whatever it is called now) has no menu at all when I remove the appmenu packages.
2) I actually like the idea of entering commands via the HUD on pressing "alt", but that only works with appmenu

I did some searching around and found that apparently it was possible to make a program use both the native menu and the appmenu by starting it with "APPMENU_DISPLAY_BOTH=1 name".
This looked pretty much like the perfect solution for me - I would have both the native menu in the window for convenience and the working HUD commands for even more convenience. Unfortunately it seems that "APPMENU_DISPLAY_BOTH" doesn't seem to work anymore in 13.10. At least it doesn't do anything when starting a programm with the command.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get something like that working, i.e. having BOTH appmenu and native menus for programs?

stinkeye
October 28th, 2013, 06:01 PM
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/how-to-disable-gnome-shell-appmenu.html

El Zoido
October 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Ah, cool! I guess this will at least help me to disable it completely. Thanks!

I would still be interested in a solution that displays it both in the appmenu and the window, though, if that is even possible.