PDA

View Full Version : is there a synapse-like launcher native to xfce?

geoffmen
October 27th, 2013, 02:05 PM
I've been using synapse on gnome 2, cinnamon and mate. I wonder if I should be using it on xfce since zeitgeist isn't installed by default (running xubuntu 13.10). Does XFCE use another file indexer? I saw catfish does searches is it an indexer? does it have a launcher?

buzzingrobot
October 27th, 2013, 02:56 PM
XFCE uses the "Application Finder" (http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-appfinder/start)

I suspect Synapse works n XFCE. You might check the dependencies list, if that sort of thing concerns you.

I *think* Catfish is a frontend to the locate tool, which depends on a rudimentary indexing of file and directory names.

If you are interested in complete indexing of everything in your filesystem and searching that index, look at the "recoll" app.

ajgreeny
October 27th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Recoll used here on Xubuntu 12.04 and I find it extremely good. You can search for different types of file as well as the file content, the latter of which can occasionally be a lifesaver if you can't remember what you called a file.

vasa1
October 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM
I've been using synapse on gnome 2, cinnamon and mate. I wonder if I should be using it on xfce since zeitgeist isn't installed by default (running xubuntu 13.10). Does XFCE use another file indexer? I saw catfish does searches is it an indexer? does it have a launcher?
For some reason I thought Xubuntu had zeitgeist! Good to know it doesn't.

Frogs Hair
October 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Zietgiest is a recommended dependency for Synapse which I use in the XFCE session . I use Ubuntu and not Xubuntu though.