PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 13.04 iso with an updated Linux Kernel (preferably 3.11.4 or higher)?

martialartist81
October 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM
So I've searched a bit here, and on that fancy place called "teh googlz" and I can't really seem to either find what I'm looking for, or better yet, a good way to search for what I'm looking for.

I'm wanting an iso of 13.04 64-bit Desktop, however, since I have an MSI Z87 mobo, the Atheros Killer Ethernet (wired) isn't spotted/used until the kernel 3.11.x (and 13.04 ISO comes with 3.8.8). As such, I have no internet access (and no WiFi adapter to play with, so I can't use that to download updates). Example being that when running a LiveCD of 13.10, ethernet is spotted immediately and no issues present. Using 13.04 (and prior), however, results in no wired Ethernet connectivity.

Can someone, anyone, point me in the direction of a location where there's an updated ISO for 13.04 64-bit that includes a more up-to-date linux kernel?

*Note* Yes, I know I've read about the Ethernet driver work around, where I could download the kernel update from another OS/VM/Instance/Whatever, also where there's a way to compile an older driver version for it and "install" it that way. Unfortunately, that really won't work well for me since I want to be able to just re-install the OS if/when I encounter issues with playing around with it.

fantab
October 26th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Why not install 13.10? If 13.10 detects and establishes connectivity then Install it. Anyways, 13.04 will reach its 'end-of-life' in Jan 2014. I don't see any point for you to hang around with 13.04, unless you have specialized reason to do so.

martialartist81
October 26th, 2013, 11:40 PM
13.10 being brand new release and seems to be working out some bugs here and there still. I'd rather go back to 13.04, roots a little firmer in planting.

Alas, alack, unless someone helps and sheds some light on how to do it, 13.10 will win.

david98
October 26th, 2013, 11:55 PM
I would just stick to 13.10 ive been using it since it's official release and had no problem's with it what soever with 13.04 becoming end of life soon i would stick to 13.10 until 14.04 lts is released no point in having to install again in a few month's