PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Display is all distorted when trying to run Ubuntu

rencemc
October 25th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to run Ubuntu Live on my HP Pavillion DV6736nr. When it loads, the display is all distored and stretched out
and is unusable. I know I have run a live version on this laptop before, but I am perplexed as to why this is happening now. I realize
that if I did an install, it MIGHT pull in 3rd party drivers that may help solve the issue, but I can't do anything with the screen like that.
I tried a handfull of different distributions but they all yield the same results. The only one option that I was able to get to come up
was the low graphic option for Fedora (it comes up with a menu when loading) - the screen was OK then.

Any ideas why I am seeing this now when I have run in the past ? 32bit vs 64bit differences ?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rence

rencemc
October 25th, 2013, 06:03 PM
Is there a way to somehow add drivers to the bootable media maybe ?

su:bhatta
October 25th, 2013, 09:39 PM
Have you trying booting with the 'nomodeset' kernel arg?

rencemc
October 25th, 2013, 09:42 PM
I haven't tried that. Do I have to get to a command prompt to do that ?

October 25th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Command prompt not required. Here is the page with screenshots that shows you how to use the 'nomodeset' :

http://askubuntu.com/questions/162075/my-computer-boots-to-a-black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it/162076#162076

Have a go and see if it helps.

Also, maybe it will help if you provide the system specification like Graphics card, CPU etc.

rencemc
October 27th, 2013, 12:44 AM
That did the trick, bhattabhishek (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1819052) !

October 27th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Rencemc, Glad to be of help.

Stick to Opensource drivers but maybe, you have to install proprietary drivers if you are using AMD/ATI or Nvidia cards, in case you don't get right screen resolution & graphics acceleration with open source drivers. ( I have that problem) !