PDA

View Full Version : I'm back testing Ubuntu (Trusty) after a lengthy absence!

kevpan8152
October 25th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Finally have Unlimited Internet again so I'm back, it's seperate from my Mom and Dad's Internet so they no longer object if I run Ubuntu, Looking forward to getting my hands dirty, even if it means reinstalling several times, and starting over on my Coffee Bean Count (have NOT been here since the Ubuntu Forums were Redesigned). I just edited my sources list. Installing updates now.

kevpan8152
October 25th, 2013, 03:21 PM
P.S. I also do apoligize about the fact that I can only test Ubuntu and none of the other flavors as i have a Dell PC that originally came with Windows 8 and it does indeed have UEFI Firmware instead of a Tradidional BIOS. I can however positively report that the computer does boot up without having to disable Secure Boot at least while starting with a Saucy Platform as a Base and then using Ventrical's 3 commands to Upgrade to Trusty.

grahammechanical
October 25th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Hi

You might find this an interesting read

http://www.theorangenotebook.com/

There is no need to apologise for only testing what you are able to test. A founding principle of Ubuntu+1 testing is to have fun. Being a little bit crazy is not a requirement, but it does help sometimes. :)

Regards.

kevpan8152
October 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah, I was just referring to the Sticky, where they are requesting Tester's for the other platforms other than Ubuntu. I should have clarified that I was referring to the Sticky in my post. i personally think that as more and more computers come with UEFI Firmware (a Windows 8 OEM Requirement for example) it will eventally become a lost cause. Just my 2 cents.

ventrical
October 25th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I was just referring to the Sticky, where they are requesting Tester's for the other platforms other than Ubuntu. I should have clarified that I was referring to the Sticky in my post. i personally think that as more and more computers come with UEFI Firmware (a Windows 8 OEM Requirement for example) it will eventally become a lost cause. Just my 2 cents.

I have a new board with UEFI and even section for Windows 8 and a built in SSD for winki - see this link:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2183482

What I did was I bought the board bare steel (MSI B75MA-P45) and built it from there with Ubuntu. I had no problems .. just a new learning curve with the BIOS. With my SSD drive unit all programs are instantaneous with the SATA 3 option. I am not sure though about if Windows 8 is already tied and bounded by an inter-licence with new MS policy but there should be a CD that came with your board where you can disable that or at least adjust it.

kevpan8152
October 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Yeah, but i am NOT Experieced with Computer Hardware, only Computer Software and Computer Networking, the college certification that I have is a Computer Networking Certification called Netprep (you can look it up at http://www.harpercollege.edu), it only included lectures on computer software and computer networking and a very limited amount of computer labs on Windows 2000 Professional/Server while I was there from 2001-2003. Bottom Line is I know how to change out RAM and Hard Drives but NOT Mother Boards. Sorry for going Off Topic.

kevpan8152
October 25th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I should also mention that this Dell Machine is a Laptop NOT a Desktop. Forgot to mention that as well.

ventrical
October 25th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I should also mention that this Dell Machine is a Laptop NOT a Desktop. Forgot to mention that as well.

I am not giviing any directions but I often swapped hdds with my Dell B130 Inspiron Laptop. I would take out my Windows XP hdd and put in an old used one.. then install Ubuntu on that. When I needed windows I would just swap it back in. Whether or not that will work with your new Dell UEFI is another story ... I guess sometimes patience pays off. I have several machines so I have the latitude to experiement, but it was not always that way.

Regards..

grahammechanical
October 25th, 2013, 06:23 PM
It should be no more difficult to install Ubuntu with UEFI+secure boot than it is with BIOS but that is easy for me to say when I only have one machine and it is a BIOS motherboard! But easy installs is the target, do you not think? And installing Ubuntu on UEFI+secure boot+Windows 8 motherboards does need testing. And people do need a one, two, three step set of instructions on how to install safely, I think. The kind of instructions that a practical experimenter could write.

I was shocked last year when Windows 8 first came out. Soon after those machines were on the market people were coming on this forum expecting to be told how to install Ubuntu on them. As if anyone here had that hardware and were willing to mess it up.

Regards.

ventrical
October 25th, 2013, 07:10 PM
It should be no more difficult to install Ubuntu with UEFI+secure boot than it is with BIOS but that is easy for me to say when I only have one machine and it is a BIOS motherboard! But easy installs is the target, do you not think? And installing Ubuntu on UEFI+secure boot+Windows 8 motherboards does need testing. And people do need a one, two, three step set of instructions on how to install safely, I think. The kind of instructions that a practical experimenter could write.

I was shocked last year when Windows 8 first came out. Soon after those machines were on the market people were coming on this forum expecting to be told how to install Ubuntu on them. As if anyone here had that hardware and were willing to mess it up.

Regards.

Ya know.. I still have my Win 8 Trial RTM 64bit. I installed it twice already. I forget if there was a product code but it is for 90 trial. I should install it and see if I can help with this problem. I'll keep my original 1.5 TB hdd untouched and put in a surplus 250GB SATA . It's my fastest machine .. but what the hey ... we go to compete.

regards..

grahammechanical
October 25th, 2013, 07:34 PM
It was the same reason I purchased another hard disk but I never got around installing Windows 8. And I do not have UEFI anyway.

Regards.

kevpan8152
October 25th, 2013, 07:49 PM
What problem are you talking about? I said that my Laptop does boot up even with Secure Boot Enabled. Edit: I should have clarified that I have NOT yet tried the Nightly Builds yet for Trusty, an Upgrade from Saucy seemed easier. I also should note that I am using all Factory Hardware, No Modifications. It has 4 GB's of RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, and a Second Generation Intel I3 Processor.

grahammechanical
October 25th, 2013, 08:20 PM
We are talking about the need to test installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines, which is not easy to do if you do not have the hardware. And if a person did have the right hardware they might not want to risk messing up a machine that they have paid good money for. I know I would not want to risk it.

I was also referring the fact that I have been unable to find a simple guide on what steps to take to reduce the likelihood of having problems when trying to install Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines. And this is needed judging by the number of posts regarding installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines.

Regards.

kevpan8152
October 25th, 2013, 09:56 PM
We are talking about the need to test installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines, which is not easy to do if you do not have the hardware. And if a person did have the right hardware they might not want to risk messing up a machine that they have paid good money for. I know I would not want to risk it.

I was also referring the fact that I have been unable to find a simple guide on what steps to take to reduce the likelihood of having problems when trying to install Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines. And this is needed judging by the number of posts regarding installing Ubuntu on Windows 8 machines.

Regards.

My computer did originally come with Dell OEM Windows 8. The only problem I have is Ubuntu usually requires me to remove Windows at least that is what it does in 13.10 Setup. Have NOT tried 14.04 Nightly yet to see what happens.

ventrical
October 25th, 2013, 10:10 PM

Regards.

My attempt to install the Win 8 RTM with Secure Boot enabled was an absolute nightmare. However. I do have several non UEFI systems that will install Win 8 (even lower end systems) and also Ubuntu alongside of it with no problem. The problem with UEFI is that there is an intermission during the installation asking for drivers to be installed. There is also different modes of consideration .. one is SATA mode and the other IDE mode. The processes pops up with a window telling you you can remove the install disk and put in the driver disk. After that process is will not recognize drivers or you have to browse for specific driver (totally inane). Also, after reboot it drops you to this shell which is almost impossible to get out of - so - with these UEFI motherboards you are talking that they are designed for shop mentality only at the OEM They are bound and tied with 'Windows 8 Feature'. Now , with that disabled Ubuntu installs expeditiously and works like a charm. There is no side shuffle or shell game to play....

And another thing is that some of the UEFI boards do not have an IDE pin out so the USB DVD driver disk cannot install it's own driver because it doesn't recognize itself.

However .. I think I can tweak the BIOS but it worked much better on a VM.

Regards..

ventrical
October 26th, 2013, 12:47 AM
I was able to <disable> the UEFI as the <First Boot Device> and now my system is back to normal high speed boot up and right into GRub. No muss, no fuss. Now, I may be able to install Win8RTM but I may have to create an .iso out of the Intell Drivers DVD for USB and see if that will work when Win8 Install queries me for the drivers DVD.

hmmm... as I think about it now .... I think I may be able to hack ..< err .. ,cough .. ahem> trick... umm.. (finesster that is) UEFI in a certain manner while Win 8 has secure boot and Ubuntu /grub can be safely installed side by side.? maybe ! :)

kevpan8152
October 26th, 2013, 01:00 AM
That's the problem with Windows when you have an Advanced (Non-Intel-Inside) Mother Board. :-)

ventrical
October 26th, 2013, 01:16 AM
That's the problem with Windows when you have an Advanced (Non-Intel-Inside) Mother Board. :-)

The one I am working with is all intel, B75 chipset with exception of UEFI bios :)

edit...ohh.. I get ya :)

mörgæs
October 26th, 2013, 01:24 AM
Moved to the cafe as this is hardly a debate relevant for testing.

ventrical
October 26th, 2013, 05:38 PM
@kevenpan8152

I was able to installl Windows 8 on UEFI system. I took a SATA hdd 250GBs that had 2 linux partitions on it. 1 was Trusty using the manual method and the other was Trusty with the .zsync .iso install. During the first part of the instalation process the Windows 8 installer recognized both Ubuntu partitions plus the swap/area and brought me to a partition manager that presented me with options to keep data and settings, upgrade and previously installed version of Windows or install Windows 8 on one of the partiton , but that I would have to convert it to NTFS first. I did so and also erased the second partition and turned that into free space which was reported as an extended partition by Windows 8 partion installer. Windows 8 installed seamlessly. I then shutdown, inserted my Trusty T USB iso and proceeded to install it on the extended partition. I am writing this message from "live' trusty.... so I don't get the misinformation about people not being able to install Windows 8 to a partition made by the Ubuntu Partition manager.

Linuxratty
October 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Finally have Unlimited Internet again so I'm back, it's seperate from my Mom and Dad's Internet so they no longer object if I run Ubuntu, .

That's odd. Why would they care what you put on it? It's your computer after all.
I share a house with two adults and it's broken into 3 apartments. I'm the only Linux user and no one cares that I'm running it. I'm hooked to the router same as them.

philinux
October 27th, 2013, 12:02 PM
That's odd. Why would they care what you put on it? It's your computer after all.
I share a house with two adults and it's broken into 3 apartments. I'm the only Linux user and no one cares that I'm running it. I'm hooked to the router same as them.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the volume of updates taking up bandwidth during development cycle. :P

acodea
October 27th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Kevpan,

I am glad to see you made it. A little advice I have gotten from installing updates. Everything in every repository looks good but there are hidden dependencies to some programs that Software Center doesn't recognize the issue of installing the app anyway and; I have lost several installs. (the O/S wouldn't boot or bad HDD;) but wise up, there are a lot of errors due to incompatibility and coding errors that resemble a corrupt HDD to fsck.

But seriously have a good one, meet all your needs and remember, this is not all serious all the time.

DL

kevpan8152
October 27th, 2013, 05:10 PM
For some reason or another, Ubuntu 13.10 did NOT offer me the option to install alongside Windows 8.1, maybe because of the fact that I am using X64 Windows 8.1 while I was trying to Install X64 Ubuntu 13.10 along side X64 Windows 8.1. I wonder if I have to use X86 Ubuntu 13.10 in order to install it along side X64 Windows 8.1 and then Upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04?

kevpan8152
October 27th, 2013, 05:22 PM

They basically (my dad in General) thinks Linux is an Untrustworthy Operating System that most Computer Hackers use to try to Hack the U.S. Government! He is more than a little Paranoid if I run Linux on his Computer Network, the Police and/or FBI will come to our house and accuse us of trying to over throw the U.S. Government, or something like that. He says that Linux can easilly become infected with a Zombie Virus and then try to attack other computers with a Denial of Service Attack as a so called Zombie Machine. As I said, he is really Paranoid about Linux.

kevpan8152
October 27th, 2013, 05:32 PM
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the volume of updates taking up bandwidth during development cycle. :P

That and the fact that our Home Network does NOT belong to me. It belongs to my Parents. I live with my Parents due being Unemployeed and having a Mental Disorder for which I am on Public Assistance (Social Security Disability Income, Medicare, and Medicaid from the U.S. Government and the State of Illinois). My dad does NOT trust Linux at all. See my Previous Post for more info.

kevpan8152
October 27th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Kevpan,

I am glad to see you made it. A little advice I have gotten from installing updates. Everything in every repository looks good but there are hidden dependencies to some programs that Software Center doesn't recognize the issue of installing the app anyway and; I have lost several installs. (the O/S wouldn't boot or bad HDD;) but wise up, there are a lot of errors due to incompatibility and coding errors that resemble a corrupt HDD to fsck.

But seriously have a good one, meet all your needs and remember, this is not all serious all the time.

DL

Acodea, I am a Previous Ubuntu Alpha/Beta Tester. My old screen name was KEVPAN815. Ever since the Website was Redesigned, I can no longer sign into that User Name anymore. I should also note that i have previously Beta Tested for Microsoft, and am currently Beta Testing for Apple (I am currently in the Apple IOS Developer Program) I know all about NOT to do Partial Upgrades, and that for Development Builds,Updating though the Command Line usally works out better in the long run. I should also note that I do have 2 Spare Hard Disk Drives in case of an Emergency.

acodea
October 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM
says here you have to install the Wubi alongside in LTSes only!

kevpan8152
October 27th, 2013, 05:55 PM
As far as I know WUBI was retired and replaced with the Dual Boot Install Process as shown in the Pictures Taken by Ventrical. The only problem was, I was NOT offered that option in 13.10 Setup.

acodea
October 27th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Acodea, I am a Previous Ubuntu Alpha/Beta Tester. My old screen name was KEVPAN815. Ever since the Website was Redesigned, I can no longer sign into that User Name anymore. I should also note that i have previously Beta Tested for Microsoft, and am currently Beta Testing for Apple (I am currently in the Apple IOS Developer Program) I know all about NOT to do Partial Upgrades, and that for Development Builds,Updating though the Command Line usally works out better in the long run. I should also note that I do have 2 Spare Hard Disk Drives in case of an Emergency.

Sweet,

Pleased to shake neurons wit such a skilled individual. I am not advising you not to leave a key in the door, as Gandalf would have said. But I am not speaking to just you but to other readers. I am upset with my self for the number od Linux problems that have caused me to lose everything and start again. It is good to have experience though and I'll quit and desist teasing you. I seldom have files from old installs if I haven't broken the Harddrive and had to salvage it.

Thanks for helping to improve the Computer experiences for all of us, cheers &etc...

Regards,

DL

Iowan
October 27th, 2013, 06:11 PM
My old screen name was KEVPAN815. Ever since the Website was Redesigned, I can no longer sign into that User Name anymore.Start a thread in the Resolution Centre (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123), and we can probably get you re-linked.

gacb
November 27th, 2013, 09:11 PM
For a pre-alpha, it's quite stable. I found it easier to get my Broadcom internal wireless adapter working than previous versions, not even requiring a reboot after installing the needed files.

Elfy
November 27th, 2013, 10:33 PM
No need to bump this - he's taking a break now (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2190042) ;)