PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse Reinstall Issue: The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its...

orangeman555
October 24th, 2013, 08:19 PM
This has been an absolute nightmare for me. Perhaps I have a thing or two to learn.

Eclipse has been punishing me from day one. Its plugins never work properly, and I'm often led to reinstall.

Now when I *remove* eclipse, it seems removed, but when I attempt to install it again, it downloads instantly (showing that its not really downloading, but rather just recognizing it must be there when its not). The progress bar zips straight to finished, and becomes "installed"

When I launch it I get this: "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its
companion shared library."

msdin
October 25th, 2013, 03:49 AM
Are you installing from the ubuntu repos (ie. the software center)? Honestly, for eclipse you are better off downloading it from eclipse.org and installing/running it from a folder in your home directory. Just make sure you have the java sdk installed (you can use the ubuntu repo for that). It won't mess up your system since it is self contained. Normally you should try to only install software from the ubuntu repos but eclipse is an exception.

orangeman555
October 25th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Thanks. After the agony I've been through with it I'm not surprised to hear that! Thanks then, I will go with that.