PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem while install ubuntu 12.04.3-server

niren
October 24th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I try to install ubuntu 12.04.3-server-i386 in my system. My system configuration is 256 ram, 80gb harddisk, Pentium 4(2.40Gz). I have dvd drive, I did download 12.04.3-server-i386.iso and burn it in cd and started installation.

Error I faced:

"Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not put in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again

Try again to mount the CD-ROM?
<Yes> <No>"

What shall I do now?

ubfan1
October 24th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Did you md5sum hashcheck the downloaded iso? Check the result number against the numbers published in releases.ubuntu.com under your release/MD5SUMS. How did you burn the CD (which software did you use, unetbootin?, ...) Did you burn the CD as slowly as possible, that sometimes helps.

niren
October 24th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I checked md5sum.txt of my downloaded .iso file, it contains some thing different.

I got this from http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04.3/MD5SUMS
e7917ff0543d8248d00ffb166def849e *ubuntu-12.04.3-server-i386.iso

first line from my md5sum.txt is cde56251d6cae5214227d887dee3bab7 ./pics/red-upperleft.png and I don't find e7917ff0543d8248d00ffb166def849e in md5sum.txt file.

I burnt .iso file using PowerISO software from windows 7 system.

niren
October 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Did you md5sum hashcheck the downloaded iso? Check the result number against the numbers published in releases.ubuntu.com under your release/MD5SUMS. How did you burn the CD (which software did you use, unetbootin?, ...) Did you burn the CD as slowly as possible, that sometimes helps.

you mean the problem with the way I have burnt CD and Correct .iso file or not. So problem is not with the system requirement that I got?

Bashing-om
October 24th, 2013, 07:33 PM
niren; Hi !

Hashsum verification procedure:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

As you know you are real skimpy on ram ..but should run the server edition.

just my bit to help

papibe
October 24th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hi niren.

"Your installation CD-ROM couldn't be mounted. This probably means that the CD-ROM was not put in the drive. If so you can insert it and try again
Try again to mount the CD-ROM? <Yes> <No>"
A thought:

That does not sound like a BIOS error. Are you putting the CD while on the current OS? If so, that's not correct. You should get into the BIOS, select to boot from CDROM and restart your machine.

Let us know how it goes.
Regards.

niren
October 25th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Hi niren.

A thought:

That does not sound like a BIOS error. Are you putting the CD while on the current OS? If so, that's not correct. You should get into the BIOS, select to boot from CDROM and restart your machine.

Let us know how it goes.
Regards.

I don't have any OS currently in my system. CD-ROM has been selected first to boot, I put cd then Started my system I get upto keyboard configuration after that I get this couldn't mount cd-rom error.

niren
October 25th, 2013, 07:16 AM
niren; Hi !

Hashsum verification procedure:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

As you know you are real skimpy on ram ..but should run the server edition.

just my bit to help

I did hashsum verification as per the link said the code is matching with my .iso files code.

what else is there that I need to check?

Bashing-om
October 25th, 2013, 04:28 PM
niren: Hey;

Next thing to check:
Bios set to boot the CD as 1st boot priority;
boot the liveCD, as soon as bios screen clears, depress and hold the shift key -> language screen, escape key to accept the default -> boot options screen;
Choose "check disk for defects".

No errors ? then -> choose "try ubuntu".
Advise what results at this time .. what exactly do you see ? What do you see in this boot process ..In other words, how far are you getting in the boot process ?

where there is a will there is a way

papibe
October 25th, 2013, 09:00 PM
what else is there that I need to check?
How did you create the CD?

Usually there are 2 options to burn a CD:

create a data CD and copy the ISO file, which does not work, and
copy/burn the image on the ISO to CD, which makes the CD bootable, and it is the correct option.

Just a thought to retrace your steps.
Regards.

mörgæs
October 26th, 2013, 01:29 AM
If your computer supports booting from USB (perhaps after a BIOS upgrade) it's a better approach than using a CD.