PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.10?

tommy2k10
October 24th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Yesterday, Ubuntu 13.04 notified me of Ubuntu 13.10, and I told it to remind me later. Ever since then I don't get a reminder. How can I upgrade?

sudodus
October 24th, 2013, 09:12 AM
First of all, if 13.04 is working well for you, I suggest that you wait 2-4 weeks to allow for the worst bugs to be fixed.

I think that if you start the graphical update program, it will show updating to the next version as one alternative.

/usr/bin/update-manager

Dennis N
October 24th, 2013, 11:13 AM
To upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10, see:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade

tommy2k10
October 24th, 2013, 01:00 PM
I did that thankyou Dennis, but the upgrade hasn't come up anymore!
I think I will wait for a month.

Dennis N
October 24th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Be sure that your system is up to date. Otherwise, I believe distribution upgrade may not be offered. Also, be sure in Settings that notify is set to immediately in both boxes.

You could also try sudo do-release-upgrade in the terminal. See second answer here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/215267/apt-get-dist-upgrade

The man page also mentions an option -m desktop for regular upgrades of a desktop system:

sudo do-release-upgrade -m desktop

I have never used either of these terminal commands myself so can't advise further. Use at your own risk.

grahammechanical
October 24th, 2013, 02:18 PM
To avoid problems with the upgrade revert the desktop to the default condition, remove any PPAs in Software and Updates, and activate the Nouveau open source video driver instead of any proprietary video driver. But best of all do not be in a hurry unless you want to become a tester of how well Ubuntu 13.04 upgrades to 13.10. You still have 3 months support for 13.04. No need to rush. Oh, and backup your important data.

Regards.

||0BL1v10N||
October 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM
You can upgrade at any time in the terminal by using the below sudo code;

Code: sudo apt-get upgrade

However, as advised it is sometimes good to wait a week or two for the all the major bugs to be fixed. If you can't wait (like most of us) I would advise to do a full back-up on an external hard drive "search for back-up" in the unity search. Once completed you can begin the upgrade and should there be any problems, you can reverse back.

Hope this helps,

Niall