PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After upgrade to 13.10 every time I start Skype it crashes Xorg

mvidberg
October 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM
I recently upgraded to xubuntu 13.10 and everytime i start my Skype, Xorg crashes and I have to re-login. I have tried "sudo apt-get purge skype" and also deleted my .Skype directory but nothing seems to help. I also tried installing from the .deb available from skype.com. Skype was working fine previously on 13.04.

Anyone have any suggestions?

mvidberg
October 23rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
I have a GeForce GT 520, and I wanted to rule out the nvidia driver so I changed to the nouveau driver and rebooted. Issue still exists. I notice that sometimes I get the Skype login screen and it crashes Xorg immediately after successful Skype login. I can't seem to see any error messages directly related to Skype in the log files. Which specific log file should I be watching? Any help with debugging this would be appreciated.

mvidberg
October 25th, 2013, 03:48 AM
I redirected output from skype running on the command line to a file and here is what I get:

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module"
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
skype: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.0.

mvidberg
October 25th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Just noticed that my Steam doesn't work on 13.10 anymore either (perhaps related, so posting info)... gets the following:

Running Steam on ubuntu 13.10 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1368229716_client)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1368229716_client)
XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
after 110 requests (62 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Assert( Assertion Failed: CFrameFunctionMgr::~CFrameFunctionMgr: non static FrameFunction still registered ):/home/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_ubuntu12_linux/build/src/common/framefunction.cpp:120

mvidberg
October 26th, 2013, 05:18 PM
SOLVED! There was an innocuous seeming setting in my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file which I commented out as follows:

#Section "Files"
# FontPath "unix/:7100"
#EndSection

This fixed the problem!

pd12
November 3rd, 2013, 07:18 AM
Thanks, this helped me to fix it, I think it may be related to this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/738526