PDA

View Full Version : setting magnet for torrent client

Tom_ZeCat
October 22nd, 2013, 06:17 PM
I'm using Kubuntu 13.10. The default torrent client for this distro is K-Torrent, which I don't really like. I much prefer qBittorrent. I went into KDE's system settings and set qBittorrent as my default client. So now if I already have a .torrent file on my hard drive I can double click it and qBittorrent comes up, not K-Torrent. However, turns out setting it as default is not the same thing as the magnet. Some sites post separate links, a magnet you can click on to automatically start downloading a torrent and another where you can download the torrent file only. I prefer the latter, but some sites only post a magnet. If I click on the magnet, K-Torrent always comes up against my wishes, despite qBittorrent being my default. What's worse, K-Torrent doesn't tell me where it puts the torrent file. I googled it's location and supposedly it's here:
~/.kde/share/apps/ktorrent/torX where X is a number

However, I tried using such a file to seed with qBittorrent a torrent I had downloaded with K-Torrent and had no luck. I've even tried uninstalling K-Torrent, but if I click on a magnet then, Firefox just complains that it can't find my magnet. I've been looking all through Firefox's settings trying to figure out how to set the magnet for torrents, but I don't find any such setting. I also have Chrome and Rekonq installed, but no luck with any of these just yet.

How do I set qBittorrent as my magnet? I want to use it and just get rid of K-Torrent.

Tom_ZeCat
October 22nd, 2013, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I posted this I would stumble across the information. To help others with the same problem, here's what I found:

In Firefox, it's Edit ==> Preferences ==> Choose Applications tab

Then scroll down and choose "magnet" and then " use other" and then you have to choose "/usr/bin/qbittorrent".

All fixed!