PDA

View Full Version : reinstallation deleted documents and other issues

Erik_Wigforss
October 22nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Hi guys,

When I upgraded my PC from ubuntu 13.04 to 13.10, the internet connection dropped and the upgrade freezed and failed. So I reinstalled ubuntu from DVD and choosed to keep my documents but all the documents got deleted and I lost data. That must never happen!
I also installed ubuntu on my macbook pro 6,1 and when I suspend it / close lid and then unsuspend / open lid the computer hangs showing only the background and I must shutdown and restart the computer. I have solved that by changing settings to not suspend when closing lid.
These issues are very serious because I cannot recomend anybody upgrading to ubuntu and these issues are very disapointing and ruins the whole experience. And searching the issue shows this suspend issue is very old.
I like the looks of ubuntu but looks is not everything, it is these issues that makes people very disapointed and it is sad. And do not blame others, it works in windows and osx and blaming others is lame. Blame means be lame.
Otherwise I like ubuntu and it is sad that ubuntu have all these issues and I think the focus is too much on looks and too little on the real issues. I have given ubuntu many chances and everytime it have been a disapointment and I changed back to windows, I hope it works out this time.

Erik

sudodus
October 22nd, 2013, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

It is too bad that Ubuntu managed to overwrite your documents during the upgrade :-( I know from other threads at these forums, that other people have similar experiences. I'm not sure that the software is doing the wrong thing, but I think that the menu system is not clear, so it is easy to misunderstand. (This is part of the risk.) Power failure during the process as well as internet failure (as in your case) are other risks.

I think it is very important to make a fresh backup of the whole system or at least of all the personal data before upgrading between versions, because it is risky and will probably always be risky. Another risky operation that needs backup before doing it is editing the partition table (resizing partitions and creating new partitions) (for example preparing for dual booting).

I made the One Button Installer (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2172971) to provide a simple tool, that works in most cases. It states bluntly, that it will overwrite the whole drive and that you must copy the data you want to keep before you start the installation.

Erik_Wigforss
November 23rd, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thank you sodus for your answer! :-) Yes, i should had copied the data, the data lost was not very important. I still use ubuntu so that is good. The suspend bug is still there and i now hate Apple! PC and Ubuntu FTW! :-)

sudodus
November 23rd, 2013, 04:35 PM
I'm glad Ubuntu works for you now :-)

I think it is hard to get suspend and hibernate work will all hardware. Anyway I never use it, so I don't suffer from it. I lock the screen or switch off the computer completely (poweroff).