PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't use Ubuntu 13.10 anymore! Menus don't load anymore

gilles-philippe-morin
October 22nd, 2013, 02:40 AM
Hello, I am pretty worried right now.

I've been using Ubuntu 13.10 for a few days and hadn't had any issue... until now.

I run Ubuntu 13.10, upgraded from Ubuntu 13.04, 32-bit, on a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop PC, alongside Windows Vista. Graphics : Radeon HD 6670

Here's what I did before it happened :

I was trying to load my Finding Nemo DVD when I noticed Totem and VLC were struggling to play it. I installed a few things in the command line I had found on the Web and saw no better results. So I decided to give up and reboot into Windows Vista.

When I was done, I rebooted into Ubuntu. Everything was fine, until I logged in (in my personnal account as much as the guest login) : I could only see my wallpaper and my cursor. The only thing I could do that I knew was opening the Terminal with Ctrl-Alt-T.

I force shut my computer and booted again twice. Same problem.

This is pretty embarassing. I'm now forced to use Vista, which is not very appealing to me. I miss the Dash. I don't have Firefox nor Libreoffice installed. I want Ubuntu back!

So could you help me solve this problem or do I have to download 13.10 and reinstall it?

Oh my, would I be thankful.

QIII
October 22nd, 2013, 02:48 AM
Hi!

It might be very helpful to know what you download and installed and from where.

gilles-philippe-morin
October 22nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Thank you. I had installed RestrictedExtras with the Software Center. Then I installed libdvdread4 and executed it. I think that was all. I tried the DVD, saw that it failed, booted into Vista, then rebooted into Ubuntu, with the display error.