PDA

View Full Version : Interview with a Linux admin

Cubanicous
October 21st, 2013, 09:33 PM
Hello all! Looking to an interview, with a Linux admin for a class project I have for college. I need to interview someone in my perspective field and ask them questions regarding interpersonal communication you use everyday. The interview would conducted using Skype

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 21st, 2013, 09:58 PM
I don't think Skype would be the best way to interview system admins. IMs, PM's, email may be better. That is based on my experience as a system admin before I retired a few months ago. When systems admins do communicate verbally it is usually in a meeting where they receive their tasking. After that, they tend to work alone or use IM's, PM's, email, bug reports/helpdesk tickets to communicate among themselves.

CharlesA
October 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM
I don't think Skype would be the best way to interview system admins. IMs, PM's, email may be better. That is based on my experience as a system admin before I retired a few months ago. When systems admins do communicate verbally it is usually in a meeting where they receive their tasking. After that, they tend to work alone or use IM's, PM's, email, bug reports to communicate among themselves.

+1. I'm not even a true sysadmin and I communicate better via email or IM than over the phone.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 21st, 2013, 10:10 PM
... and ask them questions regarding interpersonal communication you use everyday...

I think you may have already gotten part of the answer to your question. :)

Cubanicous
October 22nd, 2013, 12:03 AM
I see you guys do make a valid point, if only my professor understood that very fact.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 22nd, 2013, 12:15 AM
@Cubanicous

You may get other opinions or an offer to help. Give the thread some time for possible results.

blackbird34
October 26th, 2013, 01:17 AM
Well seeing as we're talking about Linux users here you could suggest doing it via Google+ hangouts. Google+ seems a more popular option for sysadmins social lives ... You might even be able to ask one directly.

(sorry but myself i'm not a linux admin at all - apart from on my own laptop)

Habitual
October 26th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Hello all! Looking to an interview, with a Linux admin for a class project I have for college.
This college have a Network and/or IT department?
</hint> ;)