PDA

View Full Version : Trusty Tahr

mikodo
October 21st, 2013, 08:30 PM
Nice!

Linuxratty
October 23rd, 2013, 12:25 AM
Gorgeous!
Oh to have some socks made out of that wool!

eqiweathercenter
November 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
When I heard the news on OMGUbuntu I was like..."What the heck is a Tahr?", then after some thinking I wondered what new features will they have in store for 14.04. Maybe they'll reconsider Chromium being the default browser.

monkeybrain20122
November 7th, 2013, 06:27 PM
Maybe they'll reconsider Chromium being the default browser.

I sure hope not. I can't really see the point of Chromium to be honest. It is a test browser for Chrome stripped of all the proprietary stuffs, yet doesn't have the power and open source credential of Firefox. It is neither here nor there.

grahammechanical
November 7th, 2013, 06:28 PM
We will get clues at the Ubuntu Developer Summit 19 -21 November http://uds.ubuntu.com/

SantaFe
November 8th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Would make a good slogan, "You can trust your car to the man using Trusty Tahr" ;)

david98
November 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I defo think they should re consider making chromium lt a default browser yes we all know that firefox is extremely stable. But i think chromium is faster and more suited to today's need's of people wanting information as quick as they can get it. To be honest most of us already use both so if you wanted firefox it's just a few click's away to install. And for the newbie to linux i think they would be more suited to chromium as they already use chrome on the other OS.

craig10x
November 9th, 2013, 03:44 PM
@david98: i agree...only thing is i wish they could make it Google Chrome (instead of Chromium) because it's more complete by default, having the latest built in flash plug in, and really nifty in-browser PDF reader and adds a ppa to your software sources so you get the latest stable version as soon as it is released...Unfortunately, it appears that because of the licensing issue, Canonical can't include it by default...

Yes, i know those things can be ADDED to Chromium after install, but it's more work... ;)
It wouldn't be bad if Canonical could package up those options to add on easily from the software center (say calling it: chromium bonus package or something like that...lol) but don't know if they would do that...

Elfy
November 9th, 2013, 03:56 PM
I defo think they should re consider making chromium lt a default browser yes we all know that firefox is extremely stable. But i think chromium is faster and more suited to today's need's of people wanting information as quick as they can get it. To be honest most of us already use both so if you wanted firefox it's just a few click's away to install. And for the newbie to linux i think they would be more suited to chromium as they already use chrome on the other OS.

So if both are available for install - why change?

Tried chromium a couple of times and it's woefully unable to import bookmarks - not got the time nor patience to fiddle about with something as basic as that.

I'm glad you are able to confirm that "for the newbie to linux i think they would be more suited to chromium as they already use chrome on the other OS" - do you have the same information for who's using what OS's out there then we can put the linux users are anywhere between 0 and 100%

Personally I don't know anyone who uses Chrome.

craig10x
November 9th, 2013, 04:22 PM
@elfy: he does have a good point though...many windows users (even if not actually owning one) have probably at least played with a chrome book in a store (which of course has the chrome web browser) and also many manufacturers have been including Google Chrome as the second browser (by default) right on the initial install and quite a few windows users prefer Chrome now over Internet Explorer, so when they come over to Ubuntu, it would be a familiar face, as it were...:D

Still, as i mentioned...problem is canonical has to offer Chromium not Chrome...so maybe it is best to just leave things as they are...since Chrome is so easy to install by grabbing the deb from Google's web site and open and install in the Ubuntu Software Center...

It's also similar to Mac's Safari (and even up to recently used the same base) so it feels comfortable for mac converts as well...again...a shame Ubuntu can't offer the full featured Chrome instead of Chromium...

cessanfrancisco
November 9th, 2013, 08:31 PM
I prefer Firefox, personally. If only because Ctrl+Q doesn't seem to work for Chrome/Chromium.:p

mikodo
November 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I prefer FF for a number of reasons. It being a shinning example of FLOSS doing it better, is not among the least.

deadflowr
November 9th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I too, would prefer it stay Firefox as the default.

I think one of the reasons for going toward chromium is a flawed notion that a lot of users have been downloading it because they want it.
What many users want is Google Chrome, but since they find chromium in the software center they install it, thus bumping up the download numbers.
Even though the users don't actually want chromium.

llanitedave
November 12th, 2013, 05:16 AM
I use Chromium and like it -- but if I had to choose one or the other for exclusive use I'd stick with Firefox.

Linuxratty
November 12th, 2013, 08:52 PM
I prefer Firefox, personally. If only because Ctrl+Q doesn't seem to work for Chrome/Chromium.:p

I prefer FF because i don't trust Google any further than I can fling a bull elephant.
FF is easy enough to install,so no worries.

coolbrook
November 13th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Circle of life. You will be king, Lion Goat!

Paulgirardin
November 13th, 2013, 08:34 PM
When I heard the news on OMGUbuntu I was like..."What the heck is a Tahr?", then after some thinking I wondered what new features will they have in store for 14.04. Maybe they'll reconsider Chromium being the default browser.

Here in NZ we have to shoot 'em:

http://www.nzhuntinginfo.com/game/tahr.html

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/hunting/what-to-hunt/tahr/tahr-culls/

kurt18947
November 13th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I prefer FF for a number of reasons. It being a shinning example of FLOSS doing it better, is not among the least.

I use both but spend probably 90+% of the time in FF. I've found with Firefox if a site doesn't seem to render properly, restarting with add-ons disabled often fixes things. Speed I don't see any noticeable difference between Chromium & Firefox. Dunno about Windows; I haven't permitted Windows to access the web except Windows updates in years.

kevpan8152
November 16th, 2013, 03:06 AM
So far I have had so few problems with Trusty Tahr, I have had Trouble finding some kind of problem to post about it in the Ubuntu +1 Sub-Forum!