PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Update, Acer 6935G Laptop

ScousaJAY
October 21st, 2013, 08:09 PM
hey,

I have an Acer 6935G that i have an issue with and my last option is to try a BIOS update.

I have been trying to restore the laptop to factory defaults with the restore CD's, but it keeps failing. i have done a hardware inspection and a few tests on the hard drive and RAM and have found no issues.

Its also worth mentioning that acer have tested the Restore CD's and found them to be working, and so have sent them back to me.

The current BIOS version is 1.10, and the updated version is 1.20, but currently there is no operating system on the computer and i am only able to run linux from a USB drive.

I have downloaded the updated BIOS from the acer support site and there is an option for a DOS update, and a Windows update, and im not sure which one, if any, i could use through Linux.

If anyone could give me some pointers it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

mörgæs
October 21st, 2013, 08:17 PM
Using Unetbootin you can create a USB flash drive with Freedos. From here you might be able to update the BIOS.

ScousaJAY
October 21st, 2013, 08:23 PM
will give that a try now, thanks ! :)

ScousaJAY
October 21st, 2013, 10:31 PM
ive just installed freedos from a cd but its a pain in the back side. i navigated to the directory where the BAT file is and when i try to run it, i get an error message saying 'not enough memory'..... i need something with a simple GUI that will allow me to use either the BAT file or windows EXE file and just quickly flash the bios . any ideas?. thanks for the suggestion though :)

mörgæs
October 22nd, 2013, 01:04 PM
And when booting from USB as I suggested...?