PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu gnome vs ubunto (13.10)

hammodi2
October 21st, 2013, 07:52 PM
whats the difference. pros and cons of each!

buzzingrobot
October 21st, 2013, 11:20 PM
Same system, different interface. Gnome's interface is more configurable than Unity via the extensions available for it.

Grab live images of each, boot them, and decide for yourself which one is best for you.

Ignore the widespread bashing of both Gnome and Unity. Almost all of it is poorly reasoned piling on.

BBQdave
October 22nd, 2013, 02:46 AM
whats the difference. pros and cons of each!

Big fan of Gnome 3 - but speaking straight, it is still finding it's way. Unity is great too, but with a set DE design receiving polish refinement with each new release.

Most likely, you will enjoy both. If you are into evolving DE design - Gnome 3. If you want solid design with polish improvement - Unity.

I really dig Unity. I like it's use of desktop space and visual indicators with the application bar and top bar. I'm a fan of global menues, and again, well done in Unity - this can especially be seen in a well used application like Firefox.

oldos2er
October 22nd, 2013, 05:23 AM
Moved to Desktop Environments.

grahammechanical
October 22nd, 2013, 03:13 PM
You can download ISO images of both and run live sessions of both and then form your own opinions. The big difference between Ubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome is that Ubuntu is developed by Canonical and other developers from the Ubuntu community and Ubuntu Gnome is a private project developed by Ubuntu Community developers.The sets of developers have different goals.

Ubuntu has the Unity user interface sitting on the Gnome 3 desktop environment. Ubuntu Gnome has the Gnome 3 shell sitting on the Gnome 3 desktop environment. Both Gnome 3 shell and Unity use similar functions but the application is different.

Both are equally free to download and install. Both are a Ubuntu Community Gift. And that is something to value.

Regards.

su:bhatta
October 22nd, 2013, 04:07 PM
I have used both and now settled for Gnome 3!

Somehow, the customizations are required but it's worth it.

The case is not different in Unity either, where you have to use Unity Tweak Tool for customization, and configure Dash options for search etc.

Yes, the best idea is to use both and find what suits you better.

It is a matter of personal choice and you should find yours.