PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgraded to 13.10, now login screen is black

jsavga
October 20th, 2013, 06:25 PM
I did the upgrade today from 13.04 to 13.10. I have a dual boot machine, WinXP and Ubuntu. I have an older ATI card and use the Gallium 0.4 on ATI R580 driver. This machine has been through a few version upgrades without many problems. However, now I have one.

The boot menu shows up, allowing me to choose which OS to boot (XP will boot fine). While Ubuntu is booting, I'll get the loading screen with UBUNTU displayed with the dots lighting up under it. When Ubuntu is loaded, the screen goes black and I hear the startup sound (the drum). If I leave it for more than a few seconds, my screen will turn off into powersaving routine just like the screen saver does. Moving the mouse does not restore it to non-powersaving mode (light is still blinking it's in powersaving mode).

If I enter my password while the screen is blank after I hear the drum startup sound, then it will enter Ubuntu under my account and all is well. If I log out then it's back to the blank screen and I can enter my password again to log back in.

I'd like to fix this as fast as possible before I end up selecting a different account at the blank screen and just entering my password doesn't work anymore.

jsavga
October 20th, 2013, 07:38 PM
I have got it working for the time being. I have dual monitors, my main being a Samsung LCD and my second being a CRT. I very rarely use the second monitor and have it set to off in Ubuntu Settings. Even with it set to off, it seems to be causing this problem. I unplugged it from the computer and now get my login screen.