PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot enter passphrase for cryptsetup after Upgrade to 13.10

neelson2
October 20th, 2013, 11:40 AM
After upgrading from 13.04 to 13.10 i cannot enter my password into the cryptsetup preboot prompt. It says "Enter passphrase:" but i cannot type anything in it although my keyboard works. After forcefully restarting i can choose in Grub "advanced options" and choose kernel 3.8.0-31 instead of 3.11.0-12 and then everything is fine. Could it be that the new kernel doesn't load the usb drivers? What can i do?

xiccarph
October 21st, 2013, 12:07 AM
Hello.
I just upgraded and did not have any problem entering my password. This was on my Dell Laptop which has always used a plain text version for the entry of the cryptsetup password.
On another machine which successfully uses the Plymouth graphical boot animation/logger, I would sometimes not see the password field for this entry.
I found if I pressed ESC so that I would be returned to the terminal with the boot output, I would have the opportunity to enter it.
I also found that on occassion I could type the password, carefully, when I saw no prompt or output, and the boot process would continue ok.
I also, for a period, had a very long wait time while the boot process insisted on running a full fsck on a btrfs partition on RAID which was very large. It was a known bug, but the problem went away in 13.04. Is it possible, especially if you have forced a restart or two, that your system is running a RAID rebuild or fsck?
Hope this helps.

neelson2
October 21st, 2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your information, but i have no RAID installed, just a plain ssd and i see the password field. It's just that can't type anything. Because it works with an older kernel i assume that the new kernel is somehow incorecctly configured and that some usb driver for the keyboard isn't loaded early enough. I found https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/17700 where they suggest in archlinux to "hook sbinput in mkinitcpio.conf", but i don't know what that means or how to do it. Is there maybe a way to reset kernel or driver configurations?

Edit: I am glad i am not the only one. This problem is recognized in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/229732
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/229732)

xiccarph
October 23rd, 2013, 03:09 PM
Ok.
Sorry I wasn't of more help.
I did notice from the bug report that it implies there is a problem with the boot sequence and I wouldn't think an encrypted disk should qualify as a problem.
Can you plug in a ps2 keyboard? They are recognized by the kernel throughout boot and I have had to do something similar in the past to get past a usb keyboard not being recognized.

If you can't use a ps2 keyboard I might try something more complicated as a temporary fix.
If you boot to a Live Ubuntu USB and added a keyfile to the encrypted disk, you could store the keyfile (temporarily as long as you aren't worried about physical security) on the boot partition. Once you updated the /etc/crypttab to look for the keyfile the disk should be decrypted without keyboard input. This isn't really a good solution, but if I couldn't get in any other way I might try it. You would want to use a key that doesn't have a passphrase.
Do a man or search for instructions in using cryptsetup and crypttab, most instructions are pretty clear, and I'm happy to advise to the best of my ability if you have questions.

robb-txstate
October 24th, 2013, 03:59 AM
If it helps to know, I do have exactly the same problem.

EDIT: Based on xiccarph's tip, I dug out a vintage PS/2 keyboard to replace the USB keyboard. Now I can enter the passphrase on boot.
Cheers.