PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 13.10 stops

shochatd
October 19th, 2013, 04:19 AM
After upgrading my old rcubed 32-bit machine to 13.10 without incident, I initiated the upgrade on my System76 Lemur Ultra (64-bit). Everything seemed to be going normally, but during the "Installing the upgrades" phase, it seems to have stopped after "Installed cups-common". It has been sitting like that for an hour. The system appears to be fully functional otherwise (mouse, indicator menus, Unity launcher, and bash in a terminal). I ran top, but do not see anything obviously in trouble. Any suggestions on how to diagnose what is (or isn't) going on? Is there any way to restart things?

jdier
October 21st, 2013, 09:43 PM
Had same problem. I downloaded the ISO image, burned a bootable DVD and went through the install and am now reinstalling apps... All my home directory stuff was still there.

shochatd
October 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one. I did the same as you except I used a bootable USB made from the ISO. I was pleasantly surprised to see that there was a "re-install" option. I thought I would lose all my data. During the re-install process, it said it had encountered errors trying to re-install packages that I had before, and that I may have to re-install some manually. This turned out to be true. I had to re-install yasm, numerous -dev packages, imagemagick and Google Chrome. But again, I thought I'd have a lot more to do than that. Odd that this failure would have occurred now. I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper Drake and have never encountered anything like this before.