PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade from 12.10 to 13.10 via Command Line?

Digitalscribbler
October 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM
I currently have Quantal Quetzal (12.10) and I'd like to upgrade to Saucy Salamander (13.10) via the command line. I know I can do this via the Software Center, but I'm interested in learning how to do this through the Command Line. After doing a little research, it looks like these are the commands that I need to enter. Is this correct? Thanks.

sudo apt-get install synaptic
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo update-manager -d

MadmanRB
October 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Yeah the command is correct.
However if you have a CD or USB you can upgrade Ubuntu via that too without a reinstall.

grahammechanical
October 18th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Actually we cannot upgrade from 12.10 to 13.10. We have to upgrade to 13.04 first and then on to 13.10. and I do not think that we need to install Synaptic Package Manager either. Synaptic is a front end for the apt-get tool. It combines updating with software installing which are separate utilities in Ubuntu.

Regards.

newb85
October 18th, 2013, 05:14 PM
+1 grahammechanical

fantab
October 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I currently have Quantal Quetzal (12.10) and I'd like to upgrade to Saucy Salamander (13.10) via the command line. I know I can do this via the Software Center, but I'm interested in learning how to do this through the Command Line. After doing a little research, it looks like these are the commands that I need to enter. Is this correct? Thanks.

Those commands will only take you to 13.04 as grahammechanical points out. IF, and its a big 'if', all goes well, then you will have to run those commands again to take you to 13.10.
If I were you I would clean install 13.10 after removing 12.10, it would save me lots of time, trouble and the install will be cleaner without any issues.

Digitalscribbler
October 18th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your help :)

@fantab - to reinstall - can I do this from the Terminal - e.g., "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop"? Thanks

sandyd
October 18th, 2013, 10:21 PM
moved to installation and upgrades

fantab
October 19th, 2013, 04:11 AM
No. Download and burn ubuntu 13.10 to a DVD/USB and install.
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop will only install ubuntu-desktop for the same version ie, 12.10.

Digitalscribbler
October 19th, 2013, 04:56 AM
@fantab Thanks

Got it installed. For anybody else who might be in the same situation ....
1. I created a bootable USB (I've got an Aspire One netbook) via the Linuxpendriver
2. Then rebooted and selected F2>Boot and put the USB as the top-level boot drive
3. Then saved the settings and exited F2
4. Then rebooted and followed the installation prompts.
5. Enjoy 13.10!

newb85
October 19th, 2013, 05:14 AM
A clean reinstall cannot be done from within the system. You would need to boot from a live DVD/USB for that.

Edit: Oops, should have refreshed the page before responding. It looks like you've got it!