PDA

View Full Version : Light Display Manager is a User After 13.10 Upgrade

gerowen
October 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Just upgraded to 13.10 and noticed something strange. I now have a user on the login screen labeled "Light Display Manager". It's not the end of the world, I can still log in and do what I need to do, but just thought it was a bit strange. I've googled around a little but nothing was really helpful that I found, and a search here didn't turn anything up so I figured I'd toss it out there.

Toz
October 18th, 2013, 07:06 AM
What version did you upgrade from?

Have a look at the "minimum-uid" value in /etc/lightdm/users.conf file. It should be set to 500 so that it doesn't display any of the system users with uids less than 500 (user uids can be viewed via "cat /etc/passwd").

gerowen
October 18th, 2013, 07:13 AM
I upgraded from 13.04. My minimum-uid variable is already set to 500. Here are the contents of my users.conf file. I wonder if just adding the lightdm user to the hidden-users line would work.

#
# User accounts configuration
#
# NOTE: If you have AccountsService installed on your system, then LightDM will
# use this instead and these settings will be ignored
#
# minimum-uid = Minimum UID required to be shown in greeter
# hidden-users = Users that are not shown to the user
# hidden-shells = Shells that indicate a user cannot login
#
[UserAccounts]
minimum-uid=500
hidden-users=nobody nobody4 noaccess
hidden-shells=/bin/false /usr/sbin/nologin

Toz
October 18th, 2013, 07:17 AM
I upgraded from 13.04. My minimum-uid variable is already set to 500. Here are the contents of my users.conf file. I wonder if just adding the lightdm user to the hidden-users line would work.

You could try, but you shouldn't have to. Does your /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file have anything in it that would be forcing the lightdm user to show up? Are there any other system users (with uids less than 500) showing up?

gerowen
October 18th, 2013, 07:21 AM
You could try, but you shouldn't have to. Does your /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file have anything in it that would be forcing the lightdm user to show up? Are there any other system users (with uids less than 500) showing up?

Here's my lightdm.conf contents:

marcus@adams-desktop:~$ cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[SeatDefaults]
user-session=ubuntu
greeter-session=unity-greeter

No other system users are showing up on the login screen, only the "Light Display Manager" one.

Toz
October 18th, 2013, 07:35 AM
What is the lightdm user uid?

cat /etc/passwd | grep lightdm

Try adding lightdm to the hidden-users field in /etc/lightdm/users.conf file to see if it works. You'll need to restart lightdm for it to take effect.

gerowen
October 18th, 2013, 07:39 AM
What is the lightdm user uid?

cat /etc/passwd | grep lightdm

Try adding lightdm to the hidden-users field in /etc/lightdm/users.conf file to see if it works. You'll need to restart lightdm for it to take effect.

lightdm:x:110:116:Light Display Manager:/var/lib/lightdm:/bin/false

Toz
October 18th, 2013, 01:18 PM
Did adding "lightdm" to the hidden-users field work?

Jan D
October 18th, 2013, 02:37 PM
There is a bug opened in launchpad (please mark it as "affects you"): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-greeter/+bug/1235785

Toz
October 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM
There is a bug opened in launchpad (please mark it as "affects you"): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-greeter/+bug/1235785

Interesting. I have a number of Xubuntu 13.10 installs and it I don't see this behaviour. I wonder if its somehow related to unity-greeter? (Xubuntu uses gtk-greeter).

ttd1232004
October 18th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Just upgraded to 13.10 and noticed something strange. I now have a user on the login screen labeled "Light Display Manager". It's not the end of the world, I can still log in and do what I need to do, but just thought it was a bit strange. I've googled around a little but nothing was really helpful that I found, and a search here didn't turn anything up so I figured I'd toss it out there.

I have got it the same problem asyou, however, I couldn't log in with my user password.
Is there some thing wrong here!????/

gerowen
October 18th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Did adding "lightdm" to the hidden-users field work?

Yep. Adding it to the hidden-users line caused it not to be displayed on the login screen. Thanks for the help and for following up, :-)

liquidcross
October 18th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I had it appear briefly on my users list, but then after a reboot, it was gone. Weird.

PJs Ronin
October 19th, 2013, 03:10 AM
I had it appear briefly on my users list, but then after a reboot, it was gone. Weird.
Same here. First boot of the day and lightdm appears on the logon screen... doesn't appear with subsequent boots.

Edit: And as these things go, Light Display Manager is now appearing for me at every boot.

johannesg-s
October 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
I am experiencing the same issue. Both after I upgraded from 13.04 and also with a clean install of 13.10 (although I do have my /home mapped to a seperate partition that I didn't format during the installation)

liquidcross
November 19th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Still having the same problem here, too. And I can no longer edit lightdm conf to hide the list of users at login.