PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Resurrecting launcher customizability

tapasray
October 17th, 2013, 06:53 AM
When I installed 12.04 LTS, the launcher was very nicely customizable. I could move individual icons up and down according to my needs - having the open apps on top and closed ones below was very convenient. I could also adjust the launcher icon size with a slider in System Settings > Appearance.

After a family member used the machine, logging in as Guest, all that is gone in my owner/admin account on the machine. The app icons now have fixed positions relative to one another, and the resize slider has vanished from in System Settings > Appearance.

I had posted a help request about this on the General Help board, but there has been no suggestion even after a week. I am hoping that someone here will be able to help.

Looking forward to hearing from folks.

Thanks in advance!

deadflowr
October 17th, 2013, 07:49 AM
You should make sure that the "other user" didn't switch your login setting to Ubuntu2d(unity-2d).

That seems to be, as best I can get from your description, what unity-2d looks like.
I believe the resizer is also not there, either.

Try this
When logging in, before you enter your password, look to the top of the username/password box for the ubuntu logo icon.
Click on it and, by default, there should be two entries(more if you have installed other desktop environments or window managers).
Make sure to select the Ubuntu one, and not the Ubuntu2d one.
Then try logging in.

tapasray
October 17th, 2013, 12:03 PM
@deadflowr, thanks a lot! I shall try that and report back.

@deadflower, Many, Many thanks! your solution worked like a charm. I clicked on the little Ubuntu icon at top right of the login area, got two options, selected Ubuntu (not Ubuntu 2D), entered my password, and bingo! My lovely launcher bar was back from the dead. Thank you so much!!!

deadflowr
October 18th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Good to see.
Hopefully it holds on reboot, then the issue was probably other user clicking on things to get a desktop.

It's happened to me before.