PDA

View Full Version : Why does Chrome on Linux seem to still be on the old interface?

u-noob-tu
October 17th, 2013, 12:22 AM
Maybe two weeks ago I got an update for Chrome on my desktop (running Windows 7) that changed quite a few things, most notably the new tab page. However, in that time Chrome has been updated on my Linux laptop at least twice and still doesn't look like it does on my desktop. Does anyone know why that is?

dbass81
October 17th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Maybe two weeks ago I got an update for Chrome on my desktop (running Windows 7) that changed quite a few things, most notably the new tab page. However, in that time Chrome has been updated on my Linux laptop at least twice and still doesn't look like it does on my desktop. Does anyone know why that is?

I'm pretty sure you are talking about the difference between Google Chrome and Chromium. If you think they are the same, they are not. Google Chrome is a branch of Chromium maintained by Google. If you want Google Chrome on Linux add their repository and install it, or download the package for your distro from www.google.com/chrome and install it that way.

u-noob-tu
October 17th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Nah, I'm using standard Chrome, not Chromium. I don't use Chromium because some of the extensions that I use don't work well under Chromium. As of right now, I'm using Chrome version 30.0.1599.101.

dbass81
October 17th, 2013, 12:47 AM
Nah, I'm using standard Chrome, not Chromium. I don't use Chromium because some of the extensions that I use don't work well under Chromium. As of right now, I'm using Chrome version 30.0.1599.101.

It could be your sync data when you login to your Google account using your old settings. Take a look under Settings and see what are your Startup settings. Also the apps in the bookmarks bar might be something specific to the Windows version.

boyo1991
October 17th, 2013, 01:42 AM
not sure why, but i still wanted to put in my two cents that i prefer chromium and old the old format anyways :P