PDA

View Full Version : 13.10 released tomorrow

georgelappies
October 16th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Then we get 13.10, looking forward to it as usual.

Morbius1
October 16th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery. But today is a gift. That's why it's called present.

3rdalbum
October 16th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Then we get 13.10, looking forward to it as usual.

I've never quite understood the obsession with "release dates" for open-source projects. Ubuntu 13.10's official release date is tomorrow, but it's perfectly easy to install it one day earlier, or a week earlier, or a month earlier. There aren't any functional changes in the last month, only bugfixes. Ubuntu 13.10 is already out and usable today; tomorrow is just another date.

Erik1984
October 16th, 2013, 04:03 PM
I've never quite understood the obsession with "release dates" for open-source projects. Ubuntu 13.10's official release date is tomorrow, but it's perfectly easy to install it one day earlier, or a week earlier, or a month earlier. There aren't any functional changes in the last month, only bugfixes. Ubuntu 13.10 is already out and usable today; tomorrow is just another date.

I do understand the 'obsession' and find it a bit sad that the excitement from earlier releases (count down timers etc.) has gone. Understandable also as there are not so many exciting new features.

android63
October 16th, 2013, 06:17 PM
I do understand the 'obsession' and find it a bit sad that the excitement from earlier releases (count down timers etc.) has gone. Understandable also as there are not so many exciting new features.
Yeah, it seems people aren't as excited about new releases as they used to be.

mörgæs
October 16th, 2013, 08:15 PM
People are probably realising that if they have the choice they should wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month after the official release before installing (unless the old system is dead or dying, which makes it worthwhile to take the chance).

Erik1984
October 16th, 2013, 08:52 PM
People are probably realising that if they have the choice they should wait at least a couple of weeks, maybe a month after the official release before installing (unless the old system is dead or dying, which makes it worthwhile to take the chance).

True, but I think it's more than that. I never installed on release day (I am the type of user that rather waits a week) but I was still very much looking forward to release day and read all the responses. Installation experiences of other users and reviews by tech sites. There doesn't seem to be so much 'buzz' this time. I'm still excited but don't see it around me in the Ubuntu/Linux scene. Maybe this is also a sign how far Ubuntu has come, improvements are taken for granted.

mamamia88
October 17th, 2013, 12:06 AM

Heck I switched over to arch because 5 minutes maintenance after a full system upgrade occassionally is better than a huge upgrade every 6 months imo. Not to mention that ppas have to specify a ubuntu release and most aren't ready right away at release time. All this could be fixed by using lts but i'm a sucker for the newest stuff

sammiev
October 17th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Bring on 14.04 time for more breakage! :)

vasa1
October 17th, 2013, 06:46 AM
True, but I think it's more than that. I never installed on release day (I am the type of user that rather waits a week) but I was still very much looking forward to release day and read all the responses. Installation experiences of other users and reviews by tech sites. There doesn't seem to be so much 'buzz' this time. I'm still excited but don't see it around me in the Ubuntu/Linux scene. Maybe this is also a sign how far Ubuntu has come, improvements are taken for granted.
OMG Ubuntu (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk) often seems to be the place for "buzz". Give it a day or so ;)

Another type of "buzz" is here: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/10/ubuntu-phone-ringtones

Q7JEscD
October 17th, 2013, 07:40 AM
Well, I can't wait for the new apache and better SSL support!

georgelappies
October 17th, 2013, 12:12 PM
it is here:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/saucy/

||0BL1v10N||
October 24th, 2013, 07:19 PM
So far so good! Some minor hiccups but running fine on 64bit! :)