PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Synology Assistant, installed, but not recognized

hodad
October 15th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I followed instructions in thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2112036

Instructions are well written, I did all of the steps no problem, but still get:
"SynologyAssistant: command not found" even though it's sitting right there in the SynologyAssistant subdirectory, and is listed as a green executable.

Any ideas how I can execute the SynologyAssistant file?

Thanks!

tgalati4
October 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Are you sure it is not running? Perhaps you are getting an error from SynologyAssistant that it can't find a command. If it is a shell script then you can look at it:

cat SynologyAssistant

If you get a bunch of gibberish, then it is a binary file. As I stated in the previous post, I don't have such a NAS (although they are pretty good from what I hear), someone else will have to weigh in who has gotten the assistant to work. Why do you need it? Can't you see your shares in the file manager?

hodad
October 16th, 2013, 03:41 AM
"No such file or directory" when I run the above...

Can't see it under "File System" or "Network" . Perhaps I could "Ping" it, but don't know which address to look for. Note, it's connected to my linux box thru my Netgear WNDR4500 router.

hodad
October 16th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Found some good guidance at:
http://shem-linux.blogspot.com/2013/10/synology-assistant-debian-7-amd64-2nd.html

It appears that the Synology bin and lib files are expecting 32 bit architecture. The instructions in the above link don't work for downloading i386 architecture, so I have to figure out a way to do that. Will keep trying, and post results (if any). In the meantime, suggestions WILL be accepted on how to proceed!

hodad
October 16th, 2013, 04:20 AM
sudo apt-get install i386 did the trick! Once I coded it, i386 was downloaded, and Synology Assistant came right up! It couldn't find my Synology Server thru the router, but I'll tackle that tomorrow.

tgalati4
October 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Wow, that is a lot of work to get a NAS to work. Glad you got it 1/2 figured out.

hodad
December 18th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Update:
I just configured a new PC with 13.10, and had to go through the whole nightmare again, so thought I'd share some more ideas...

I ran into trouble with the fact that 13.10 AMD (64 bit version) doesn't run the 32 bit SynologyAssistant (as mentioned in previous posts). I found an excellent posting by Shahin Emil at:
http://shem-linux.blogspot.com/2013/10/synology-assistant-debian-7-amd64-2nd.html

After performing the steps he outlined, SA came up.

Curiously, however, before performing those steps, I was able to find the DS-112 by going to Firefox Web Browser (the File Cabinet icon) and looking under "Network", then "Browse Network". There I found the DS-112 listed as DiskStation. I was able to open it, and drag/drop folders from the Diskstation to my PC; no need for SynologyAssistant.

So now I have two methods for accessing the DiskStation, which is nice.