PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity Not Loading on Startup

amtur_poet
October 14th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I recently installed some updates on the Ubuntu install on my Toshiba X775-3DV78 laptop, but now, whenever I log into the machine, Unity refuses to load. My desktop displays, and I am able to open windows that have their borders, but the unity bar doesn't appear, nor does any other facet of its navigation menus. OI am able to boot into other desktop environments (KDE, GNOME 3, and Cinnamon, for reference). The only big addition I recently installed to my Ubuntu setup was Cairo-Dock, but it was working fine for one or two boots after installing that. Moreover, it doesn't look like I can uninstall all of Cairo's packages without completely uninstalling GNOME, so I don't think it would be wise for me to test this theory. Can anyone help?

JnPson
October 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM
I've had a similar problem with unity after installing fglrx. I had to enable the unity plugin. I think this might apply to your problem too.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/17381/unity-doesnt-load-no-launcher-no-dash-appears
Open a terminal:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
and run

export DISPLAY=:0 and

ccsm
Click on Ubuntu Unity Plugin and and to the left you'll find a check box to activate it.
I hope this could be of some help

JnPson
October 14th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Another thing that came to my mind is that you might have enabled Cairo desktop from login. I installed cairo and tried to log in to cairo desktop and all I could see was the dock. Just a thought. :)

amtur_poet
October 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the idea, but I'm still getting the error when I try and log in after choosing "Ubuntu" from the session manager. I was able to remove all the leftover Cairo packages by running autoremove, but that didn't seem to help, either.

JnPson
October 15th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Have you tested my suggestion in post #2?

amtur_poet
October 15th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Have you tested my suggestion in post #2?
Yeah, I know that I have Ubuntu selected from the session manager, as opposed to Cairo (Which is now uninstalled). I have also enabled the Unity plugin in Compiz.

JnPson
October 15th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Sad to say I cannot be at more help. Hopefully someone else can jump in and help you with this matter.

amtur_poet
October 17th, 2013, 03:32 AM
Sad to say I cannot be at more help. Hopefully someone else can jump in and help you with this matter.
I appreciate the effort, nonetheless. :)

amtur_poet
October 21st, 2013, 03:08 AM
I upgraded to 13.10, and it still didn't fix the issue. Please, guys, I need help!

stinkeye
October 21st, 2013, 03:34 AM
I upgraded to 13.10, and it still didn't fix the issue. Please, guys, I need help!
Install this small application

sudo apt-get install wmctrl

As unity is a plugin for compiz, check your in the ubuntu session and running compiz....

echo $DESKTOP_SESSION && wmctrl -m | head -n1
That will confirm the session and window manager running.

eg

glen@Raring:~$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION && wmctrl -m | head -n1
ubuntu
Name: Compiz

theantibob
November 30th, 2013, 09:11 AM

are you still experiencing issues related to nvidia drivers install and stuck in low-resolution as indicated in a previous thread?

if so:
cat /var/log/Xorg* | grep \(EE\)should tell you what's wrong (EE)rror.

perhaps your monitor doesn't report the EDID properly to the nvidia xorg driver.