PDA

View Full Version : How to get into recovery mode

blom0344
October 13th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Would you explain HOW you get into recovery mode? Where do you issue the sudo apt-get isntall nvidia-173 command ? , on what command line? Where?

Do you mean the installation was not complete without the nomodeset?

ibjsb4
October 13th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Would you explain HOW you get into recovery mode? Where do you issue the sudo apt-get isntall nvidia-173 command ? , on what command line? Where?

Do you mean the installation was not complete without the nomodeset?

Hi blom0344

If you would start your own thread with a link to this one, it would be a good idea. Answering to other than the original poster will become confusing.

Iowan
October 13th, 2013, 06:19 PM
New thread created from here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2180173

grahammechanical
October 13th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Recovery mode is different to going into Grub command line mode which is for entering commands that Grub will use to boot Linux. May be. May be not. Are running a Wubi installation of Lubuntu or Ubuntu? Do you see a Grub menu?

At the Grub menu you select Recovery mode. If it is 12.04 the Recovery mode will be in the list. If it is 13.04 then we look in the Advanced Options for Ubuntu. At the Recovery menu we get these options

resume - Resume normal boot
clean - Try to make free space
dpkg - Repair broken packages
failsafeX - run in failsafe graphic mode
fsck - Check file system
grub - Update grub boot loader
network - Enable networking
root - Drop to root shell prompt
system-summery - system summery

You want root but the file system will be in read only mode. So, we cannot make changes to system files. We need read/write mode. A simple way is to first run network. We may need this if we wish to run apt-get to install something. That will return us to the recovery menu with the file system in read/write mode and then we can choose root.

We can also try Resume. that can get us to a working desktop without activating a video driver. We may then be able to use Additional Drivers to change video drivers.

Regards.

ibjsb4
October 14th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Hi blom344 :)

Have you solved this?

blom0344
October 14th, 2013, 08:56 PM
Actually no.. I got the tip to try puppy linux first. Downloaded it, installed it, got a working Linux out of the box running on my 9 year old laptop.
I fear that old hardware and the latest Ubuntu version is asking for trouble... :(

ibjsb4
October 14th, 2013, 11:29 PM
I fear that old hardware and the latest Ubuntu version is asking for trouble... :(

This can be a problem. There is Lubuntu and Xubuntu that uses less resources and runs better on older computers. But Puppy Linux is a good choice, it has been around for years and is compatible with Ubuntu. Meaning that it will run Ubuntu software.