PDA

View Full Version : Swimming goggles

RichardET
October 13th, 2013, 03:40 PM
We are all here for Ubuntu, but something I do outside of computers is swimming. I have to tell you I am fairly near sighted, and I use goggles which have a -7 correction, and yesterday I used a TYR pair. Fogging is always an issue. Usually we have to share a lane, so I want to see! After 8 laps, I wanted to clear my pair, and pulled them away from my eyes, to fill with water, but suddenly they slipped out of my hand slamming directly into my left eye like a sling shot. Temporarily, my left eye could not see in the area of the impact site, a large dark spot was there, how scary!
I got out of the pool, checked my eyes in the mirror, they both looked fine. Within a couple minutes, the black spot went away, and I finished my swim, another 40 laps. Afterwards I went to my eye doctor, they did not seem to think I have retinal damage, but I spent many hours yesterday scanning web sites about eye damage. In theory, such an impact, something which I did not know until yesterday, could cause retinal damage, but propbably I do not have any serious damage, although I do see some floaters today in my left eye. Be careful with your eyes, and be careful with goggles, accidents can happen even while swimming.

Anyone else have such experiences to share?

nathan-b
October 13th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Anyone else have such experiences to share?

This isn't related to eyes, but I nearly drowned while snorkeling with rays on a cruise. I was about 10 at the time and hadn't used a snorkel before and for some reason I tried to breathe while the top of the snorkel was under water so all I inhaled was ocean. I spent the next 5 minutes violently coughing and didn't try it again.

RichardET
October 14th, 2013, 01:37 AM
I was on a Mexico trip this past Spring - was trying to follow the group around a coral reef using a mask and snorkle equipment - its somewhat difficult, and easy to get lost! I went swimming tonight - its a bit better, but I will wait a couple days and see how it goes, there is still some obvious damage - but minor. I can tell you that kid's soccer is dangerous to eyes; many stories online about this. My son does hockey but they wear face equipment.

CharlesA
October 14th, 2013, 11:06 PM
After 8 laps, I wanted to clear my pair, and pulled them away from my eyes, to fill with water, but suddenly they slipped out of my hand slamming directly into my left eye like a sling shot. Temporarily, my left eye could not see in the area of the impact site, a large dark spot was there, how scary!

Done that before, but I don't think I've ever had a black spot appear. Hurts like hell, and the shock is a, well, shock, but you should be ok. If there is no shooting pain, that is. :p