PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] What does "grep "something" > /dev/null" do?

vasa1
October 13th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Stinkeye posted a code (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2180156&p=12814007#post12814007) using wmctrl to detect whether a window is present (minimized or not). If it is present, it is brought into focus. If the window doesn't exist, the application is run:
sh -c "wmctrl -a <str> || <start command>"

I came across a lengthier version here (http://askubuntu.com/a/157787/25656), and in the context of using wmctrl, it would look something like this:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

if wmctrl -l | grep -i "Firefox" > /dev/null
then
wmctrl -a firefox
else
firefox
fi

My question is about "grep -i "Firefox" > /dev/null": how does that work? What does "> /dev/null" do?

A second point is that the author used "[f]irefox" instead of just "firefox" but I couldn't understand the reason for that.

Vaphell
October 13th, 2013, 08:10 AM
/dev/null is a pseudodevice that acts as a garbage bin. Redirect there as if you redirected to a file, the difference being there will be no trace of output anywhere
That said, the redirection was not necessary as grep has -q option that suppresses its output

$ x='something firefox something'
$ if echo "$x" | grep -i Firefox; then echo TRUE; else echo FALSE; fi
something firefox something <- we don't want to see this
TRUE
$ if echo "$x" | grep -i Firefox > /dev/null; then echo TRUE; else echo FALSE; fi
TRUE
$ if echo "$x" | grep -iq Firefox; then echo TRUE; else echo FALSE; fi
TRUE
$

as for bracketed first char. In comments below he explains it's there to avoid grep finding itself in case of ps aux | grep program.
grep will show up as 'grep program' on the list of processes and will find itself and you will get something like this

$ ps aux | grep bash
me 2017 0.0 0.1 22432 5220 pts/0 Ss 07:43 0:00 bash
me 2072 0.0 0.1 22428 5200 pts/1 Ss+ 07:53 0:00 [bash]
me 2747 0.0 0.0 7652 920 pts/0 S+ 09:19 0:00 grep --color=auto bash
but when you run ps aux | grep [p]rogram

$ ps aux | grep [b]ash
me 2017 0.0 0.1 22432 5220 pts/0 Ss 07:43 0:00 bash
me 2072 0.0 0.1 22428 5200 pts/1 Ss+ 07:53 0:00 [bash]
grep --color auto [b]ash wont get matched because [b]ash regex doesn't match '[b]ash' string

that said, pgrep is a better tool for that

vasa1
October 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
/dev/null is a pseudodevice that acts as a garbage bin. Redirect there as if you redirected to a file, the difference being there will be no trace of output anywhere
That said, the redirection was not necessary as grep has -q option that suppresses its output
...[/code]

Okay, so in grep's specific case we can use -q but otherwise can use > /dev/null.

as for bracketed first char. ... because [b]ash regex doesn't match '[b]ash' stringYet another type of regex! From here (http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Patterns), it appears that the rules change with bash updates!
BTW, this link also says that "we highly recommend you just never quote your regex". Is that why the string wasn't between double quotes? So we should just do
grep -options string and not
grep -options "string"

that said, pgrep is a better tool for thatIs that because of "The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match." (from man pgrep)?

dwhitney67
October 13th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Okay, so in grep's specific case we can use -q but otherwise can use > /dev/null.

The -q option is not portable to all Unix-like systems. So if you are interested in developing portable scripts, I would recommend using /dev/null to dispose of unwanted output.

vasa1
October 13th, 2013, 04:54 PM
The -q option is not portable to all Unix-like systems. So if you are interested in developing portable scripts, I would recommend using /dev/null to dispose of unwanted output.
Thanks for that! Despite my bean count, I'm just a beginner in scripting and by no means close to developing anything. But I'm enjoying learning the tricks of the trade.

Vaphell
October 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Yet another type of regex! From here (http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/Patterns), it appears that the rules change with bash updates!
BTW, this link also says that "we highly recommend you just never quote your regex". Is that why the string wasn't between double quotes? So we should just do
grep -options string and not
grep -options "string"

there are 2 kinds of patterns
- shell globs: eg [abc]*, used in shells to match files
- regular expressions: eg [abc].*, used to match text in grep, sed, awk, you name it + bash [[ ]]

in case of bash globs you don't want to quote it too much, because quoted wildcards like * lose their magic

ls 'abc*' # literal 'abc*'
ls 'abc'* # anything that matches 'abc'+<whatever>
ls "$var"/* # anything under dir named $var

in case of globs used with find -name you need to quote them to prevent upacking the expression before find runs ( shell: step1 - expand parameters and globs, step2 - run command with the results)
let's say you have a dir tree with few avi files at top level

find -iname *.avi # will expand glob to find -iname 'file1.avi' 'file2.avi' = error

find -iname '*.avi' # passes the glob unchanged to find, only there it gets used properly

inside [[ ]] test brackets different rules apply. It's the only place where you can use unquoted variables and get away with it.

$ x='abc def'
$ [[ $x =~ 'abc.*' ]] && echo true # didn't work because regex assumed by =~ operator included quotes
$ [[ $x =~ abc.* ]] && echo true
true
$ [[ $x = 'abc def' ]] && echo true # would fail in [ ] with too many arguments error
true

Any other case of using regexes falls under standard rules and you want to always wrap them, preferably in single quotes to avoid surprises, because yet again shell would try to expand the parameter and if there is a matching file, grep would get things other than what you intended.

Is that because of "The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match." (from man pgrep)?
yes, besides it's a tool that specializes in processes, why not use that instead of parsing outputs by hand?

vasa1
October 14th, 2013, 06:39 AM
there are 2 kinds of patterns
- shell globs: eg [abc]*, used in shells to match files
- regular expressions: eg [abc].*, used to match text in grep, sed, awk, you name it + bash [[ ]]

in case of bash globs you don't want to quote it too much, because quoted wildcards like * lose their magic ...

in case of globs used with find -name you need to quote them to prevent upacking the expression before find runs ( shell: step1 - expand parameters and globs, step2 - run command with the results) ...
inside [[ ]] test brackets different rules apply. It's the only place where you can use unquoted variables and get away with it.
Any other case of using regexes falls under standard rules and you want to always wrap them, preferably in single quotes to avoid surprises, because yet again shell would try to expand the parameter and if there is a matching file, grep would get things other than what you intended.
I've saved this post for future reference. I came across globbing first when using Privoxy's user.action file for making blocking rules. I'm not sure I fully grasped the subtleties involved but went ahead by trial-and-error and looking at Privoxy's logs.
Find also gave me quite a bit of grief but I'll give it another go with the knowledge I gained here. But I'm going to make another post about

grep --color auto [b]ash wont get matched because [b]ash regex doesn't match '[b]ash' string

Bachstelze
October 14th, 2013, 11:11 AM

-q is mandated by POSIX (http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/grep.html).