PDA

View Full Version : Black Screen Asking for Name Password and no desktop help

frank18
October 12th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Hi guys;some times when i'm testing software in Ubuntu some times when i reboot it stops at a black screen and asks for NAME and Password,i put in name and password but it won't take me to the Desktop and the only way i know is re installing the Ubuntu from scratch,
Please give me detail info in case it happens again in the future,

Dreamer Fithp Apprentice
October 12th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Does it literally ask for "NAME"? More likely "login", right? I'm thinking that's probably a plain tty and your x hasn't started for some reason. If I'm right, you may be able to start your desktop normally by logging in with username and password and when get a prompt like "yourname@computername $", type "startx" without the " marks and then the enter key. If all starts normally then come back and ask again, being prepared to answer questions about the circumstances and maybe someone can give you a more permannent fix.

frank18
October 12th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Does it literally ask for "NAME"? More likely "login", right? I'm thinking that's probably a plain tty and your x hasn't started for some reason. If I'm right, you may be able to start your desktop normally by logging in with username and password and when get a prompt like "yourname@computername $", type "startx" without the " marks and then the enter key. If all starts normally then come back and ask again, being prepared to answer questions about the circumstances and maybe someone can give you a more permannent fix.

Thanks Dreamer;it's same Log in when you install the Linux without the desktop and it hangs there

frank@frank:~$ log in name and then enter password,

everything is running fine at the moment with Gnome Classic so when it happen i'll post more details.

i will also will try the ( startx)

It also happed after i tried '' Arandr ''to try to config the resolution on the 2 monitors what i lost the second monitor too.