PDA

View Full Version : myspace just switched to flash 9

bionnaki
July 18th, 2006, 05:35 AM
well, that sucks. when is macromedia going to release linux support? argh.

Brunellus
July 18th, 2006, 05:38 AM
well, that sucks. when is macromedia going to release linux support? argh.
the short answer is....never.

Skia_42
July 18th, 2006, 05:44 AM
damn, i got flash workign last week and now...myspace doesn't like me.

woedend
July 18th, 2006, 06:03 AM
never? what? flash 9 for linux betas should be floating around soon enough, final in 2007.
shockwave...probably never

Adrenal
July 18th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Last.fm is good, pretty much myspace with a music focus

Miguel
July 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
the short answer is....never.

The funny thing is this is strictly true. IIRC, Adobe bought flash so, if Flash 9 is to appear on Linux, it will be released by Adobe.

zenwhen
July 18th, 2006, 12:04 PM
The only thing that doesn't work for me on myspace, right now, is the video player.

henriquemaia
July 18th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I would like to believe that it will come out in 2007 (such a looooooooong way). But my non-optimistic side don't want to believe it will be so soon...

I believe we will have gnash readier sooner than flash 9 (wishful thinking).

Skia_42
July 18th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah it's missing a video player but Youtube handles that.

henriquemaia
July 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah it's missing a video player but Youtube handles that.
And what about if youtube also go flash 9?

bionnaki
July 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM
yeah, that would be trouble...

fuscia
July 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM
And what about if youtube also go flash 9?

that would suck. meh about myspace, but youtube is a blast.

greggh
July 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM
when is macromedia going to release linux support? argh.

When Microsoft stops paying Adobe under the table not to release it...

henriquemaia
July 18th, 2006, 02:42 PM
When Microsoft stops paying Adobe under the table not to release it...

That's a hard accusation. Maybe it's better we choose a more reasonable way of looking at the problem.

jethro10
July 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM
That's a hard accusation. Maybe it's better we choose a more reasonable way of looking at the problem.

Hmmmmmm....

You never know though. This PDF support being pulled by MS.........

J

henriquemaia
July 18th, 2006, 03:00 PM
Hmmmmmm....

You never know though. This PDF support being pulled by MS.........

J

I'm not sure if I'm reading it right, but what do you mean by that? OpenOffice also supports pdf.

TrailerTrash
July 18th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Ive heard that you can download Firefox, flash 9 and also Shockwave (for Windows) using Wine, and it will play/work fine. that just what ive heard...Ive never done it.

Brunellus
July 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM
since nobody was talking about the reason that they've moved to flash 9, I offer this link as a public service:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/07/myspace_pages_defaced_using_fl.html

apparently, they're trying to contain some sort of flash worm.

WildTangent
July 18th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Ive heard that you can download Firefox, flash 9 and also Shockwave (for Windows) using Wine, and it will play/work fine. that just what ive heard...Ive never done it.

It does work, I tried it.

-Wild

bonzodog
July 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I believe we will have gnash readier sooner than flash 9 (wishful thinking).

Yes, this is what the community should be focusing on. It also works on 64 bit!

henriquemaia
July 18th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Yes, this is what the community should be focusing on. It also works on 64 bit!

This is something I'm really eager to see it working. Having an open source flash player would bring us many advantages. As you say, it works (or will work) for the 64 bit users (and for the ppc users aswell).

snowpalmer
July 19th, 2006, 07:34 PM

It works. But honestly not very well. Especially with YouTube or GoFish I've had a lot of problems with the video's that you simply don't have running it in windows. You can see the refreshing which is a little annoying too.

Stormy Eyes
July 19th, 2006, 09:45 PM
well, that sucks.

I don't think it sucks at all. Now I have a credible excuse when people ask me if I've seen them on MySpace: "Sorry, but I don't use Windows so my browser can't handle MySpace".

Janux
July 20th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I believe, that Adobe will launch a new Flash Player for Linux but I'm not sure when (Tomorrow, next month, next years, who knows?) but I have been tracking Penguin.SWF (http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/) a (PR-thing) blog of the Flash for Linux developer where he talks about the development of the new flash.

I must say that he is not very eloquent when he writes and sometimes his posts might be boring if you don't care about geek things, but I think that still worth of a look, at least to get the distant hope of a new player for us.

Lary Grant
October 24th, 2006, 01:28 PM
When I first tried videos on MySpace, it didn't work, and I just thought, "oh well, I guess it doesn't work on Linux". Then I hapenned to re-install Ubuntu on a different machine, and noticed that MySpace videos are working there! What's up with that? I went back to my main machine and tried uninstalling Flash and re-installing, but the videos still don't work. I am thinking of reinstalling Ubuntu on my main machine as well (thought dreading it), but there must be an easier solution! Any ideas?

BTW, I really doubt it's a hardware issue.... the "other" machine (with the videos working) is actually a much older machine than my main machine (with the non-working videos).

bluenova
October 24th, 2006, 01:34 PM
This thread is old. Flash 9 beta is now available for Linux

There are several howto threads, here are a couple of them:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280252
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=280469

DoctorMO
October 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Gnash also works on Macs, pdas, mobile phones and cray servers ;-)

ssavelan
December 31st, 2006, 01:13 AM
Well..... months later...... I have flash player9-beta plugged-in and working ESPN, MSNBC...... not been much into myspace but it doesn't work for me right now. Have conquered a lot of multimedia issues.... trying to bury the hachet and rule over all multimedia formats from within ubuntu...... time consuming....

ssavelan
December 31st, 2006, 01:20 AM
.......okay.......... works great.......

If anyone has a problem with flash9-beta... not seeing embedded content that they want.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2956472505302619019&q=ubuntu

this video takes you threw step-by-step

I'm probably the last newb on the planet who needed this... oh wait, no there're all the people I'm setting up.:mrgreen:

23meg
December 31st, 2006, 01:49 AM
If anyone has a problem with flash9-beta... not seeing embedded content that they want.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...19019&q=ubuntu"Keyboard not detected - Press F1 to continue"