PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Strange blue lines from USB boot

maslacher
October 8th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Hi, i'm trying to install ubuntu on my pc (G1610 with intel HD graphics) but i have a big issue. Currently i'm using manjaro linux and it's works but i would like to give a ubuntu a try. I don't have cd drive so i install from 4GB pendrive using dd bs=4M if=(direction to iso) of=/dev/sdb and when i try to boot i've got strange vertical blue lines and there is nothing i can do about it. I'm thinking this is some driver compatibility issue but i don't now how to solve this. I tried earlier install ubuntu on virtual machine from oracle and works perfectly.

sudodus
October 8th, 2013, 06:58 PM
I think it is a problem with the graphics driver. You might succeed with a boot option, for example nomodeset. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Am I right, that this is a new system (bought this year)? If so, you should try a new version of Ubuntu, 13.04 or the not yet released 13.10 to get the appropriate drivers.

maslacher
October 8th, 2013, 07:02 PM
I have partialy solve this. I have to install in nomodeset mode but this works only for me in uefi install. In legacy/normall mode i can't choose nomodeset because after pinky screen with keyboard i have black screen. And i can't install in uefi because i have MBR.
@sudous i bought G1610 recently and i'm trying to install 13.04 but i propably try to install 13.10 if this will not work.

sudodus
October 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM
If it works in UEFI mode you will be able to make work also in classic BIOS mode (booted live from syslinux and also booted from grub when installed).

At the pinky screen with keyboard you should press a key to get to a menu, where you can add the boot option.

maslacher
October 8th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Thank's sudodus you're great. It's working.
After install can i solve this issue with that?
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tjaalton/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Edit: I've just downloaded 13.10 final beta and everything for now works nice and easy so it's solved.

sudodus
October 8th, 2013, 07:28 PM
I don't know about that ppa. Maybe it will help you. (If not you can always remove it and try something else.)
And you can add nomodeset to grub in the installed system. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup

for example text about /etc/default/grub where you can add boot options according to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX

Entries on this line are added to the end of the 'linux' command line (GRUB legacy's "kernel" line) for both normal and recovery modes. It is used to pass options to the kernel.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

This line imports any entries to the end of the 'linux' line (GRUB legacy's "kernel" line). The entries are appended to the end of the normal mode only.

To view a black screen with boot processes displayed in text, remove "quiet splash". To see the grub splash image plus a condensed text output, use "splash".

Good luck :-)