PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on whether I should buy a pre-built desktop or build one myself?

user1397
October 7th, 2013, 04:25 AM
I ask because I haven't bought a desktop in a long time and I really don't know what's more economical.

Here are the specs I'm looking for:

intel core i5 or i7
4-8GB RAM
dedicated graphics good enough for some gaming (don't care if it's amd or nvidia, and doesn't have to be latest and greatest either)
at least 320GB HD
at least 20" monitor
wifi

...and that's about it. As you can see, I'm not terribly picky, but I do want something modern and good enough to play some PC games (yes I would be dual-booting ubuntu and windows 7).

Thoughts?

mynamesalex
October 7th, 2013, 07:31 AM
You should really consider the specs a little more carefully, for your prospective PC.

If you just want it to work, buy a desktop outright,

If you're interested in learning about computers, saving money, having satisfaction every time you look at your PC and turn it on or off, you wanna really know what makes your computer tick, then build your own.

Checkout Newegg, or your local computer hardware dealer for parts;

To make a simple suggestion guideline, without really knowing what you have for a budget:

Intel Core i5 xxxxk, whatever has good Ghz rating for the price, and stick to recently released models. Get the model with the 'k' at the end of the model number; that means it's CPU unlocked, and you can overclock the processor anytime.
Don't get i7 for games. It's oh so very pointless.
Care more about the GPU; Get Nvidia 760/770, depending on how much you can afford. This is most important for gaming I think. If you get a nice processor, get a nice GPU. Get a cheap processor, get 760 or 750. The 760 is probably the best bang for your buck in GPU's as far as NVIDIA goes. If you want ATI, ask someone else, I don't follow their models.
650-700W PSU
8-16GB ram. Nobody goes 4GB for gaming, you're just asking to bottleneck your GPU and CPU if you do that. 8 minimum, RAM is cheap, don't skimp this.
You probably want more than 320GB hdd space, 500gb should be minimum, 1tb is reccomended, games will add up over time, and dual booting makes things harder to manage. Modern games demand lots of space, I reccomend 1TB hard drive at least, but if you can't afford it, get 500GB. If you CAN afford it, add a 128GB SSD to the mix, and mount your favorite OS to boot off that. Buying an SSD is the single most effective speed upgrade you can get on a computer today. It's that much better than regular spin disk drives.
Get whatever monitor you feel comfortable with, your peripherals are all completely up to you.
If you're buying a wifi adapter, look for something with 802.11n, and see if you can catch one on sale if it's compatible with 5Ghz bands. 2.4ghz bands have crazy interference from almost every electronic in your house, and 5ghz with 802.11n is nice and stable and quick. It'll be blazing fast if you can get one that supports 450mbps over standard 300mbps on most 802.11n routers/NIC cards. I have a 5ghz 802.11n with 450mbps and it's like being on a wired connection, I don't notice any difference, it's awesome.

If you share your budget I'd be happy to refine my suggestions for you.

Also... If you're patient, pick out the components and wishlist them all, and wait for them or their alternatives to all go on sale. Sales happen often. If you're patient and you build your own, you'll get a great deal over all. If you're in a rush and you build, you'll get a good deal. If you buy pre-made you'll get ripped off and it'll come preinstalled with Windows. If you already have a windows product key and .iso or install disk, then you just saved yourself money too.

buzzingrobot
October 7th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I've built several. The only way to know if you will save money is to compare the cost of a specific homebuilt hardware to ready-made with the same hardware.

My experience has been that the savings are small, or nonexistent. The real motivation for building yourself is educational and being able to select the exact components.

SuperFreak
October 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I built mine. Frankly building it was very easy; setting up the software and learning how UEFI worked involved a bit more time.
I think building the computer has given me much more familiarity and knowledge of how my PC works however as others have pointed out $ savings are not likely to be much (for example one retailer I use ,NCIX, will build a computer with the exact components I chose for from their extensive product list for a $50 assembly charge and provide a warranty.

oldfred
October 7th, 2013, 04:54 PM
I agree the savings are small, but you can usually get better quality components for that price. Only if buying the very low end parts would it be equivalent to a pre-built system. Vendors often skimp on quality of power supply even at same wattage and quality of motherboard, case and maybe a few other parts.

I like to read the reviews and see what they say.
I review different price points and mix & match what I want to spend.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-your-own-pc-overclocking,3621.html
http://pcpartpicker.com/
Older:
http://www.tomshardware.com/system-configuration-recommendation-51.html
http://arstechnica.com/ask-ars/2011/04/how-to-build-your-own-computer-ask-ars-diy-series-part-i.ars
http://www.silentpcreview.com/section21.html
http://lifehacker.com/5840963/the-best-pcs-you-can-build-for-600-and-1200
http://techreport.com/
http://www.bit-tech.net/

leclerc65
October 7th, 2013, 05:13 PM
If you don't want to pay for Windows 8 (indcluding that unfriendly UEFI) go ahead.
Be sure to know somebody that can help, just in case.

CharlesA
October 7th, 2013, 05:20 PM
My experience has been that the savings are small, or nonexistent. The real motivation for building yourself is educational and being able to select the exact components.

That's been my experience, as well, but I prefer to know what components are being used instead of ye ol "brand name hard drive" that I've seen in listings.

buzzingrobot
October 7th, 2013, 06:09 PM
...I prefer to know what components are being used instead of ye ol "brand name hard drive" that I've seen in listings.

Yeppers; that really comes in to play later on when you want to change things or you're trying to persuade some driver to work.

If someone is patient, one way to save is to sign up for ad spam from places like Newegg and watch for good prices on hardware.

CharlesA
October 7th, 2013, 11:41 PM
If someone is patient, one way to save is to sign up for ad spam from places like Newegg and watch for good prices on hardware.

Indeed. I have a folder called "Newegg Promo" that has a ton of those in it. The deals are sometimes worth it, too.

I've also found that monoprice is a pretty good place to get cables and stuff.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
October 8th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Indeed. I have a folder called "Newegg Promo" that has a ton of those in it. The deals are sometimes worth it, too.

I've also found that monoprice is a pretty good place to get cables and stuff.
never thought for a folder for those sales email, but i look at those emails every day
if you don't subscribe to there emails there promo codes are useless
personally always use custom, if you post a budget i can post a good build here for you
also for the budget if that includes monitor and windows 7 say so or a will assume tower only

Matthew_Penny
February 19th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Build your own - please
This way you get exactly the componets you want. And when you have built it, then updating becomes a cinch. You already know the guts. If you do the self-build though, don't skimp on the box. Mother board should be more than you need - that way when you want to upgrade, and you will, it will be easier.
I get old boxes from industry, and rebuild and repurpose them for charities, hard luck cases. Its great to find out how to do these things. And tough when you screw up a new cpu by forgetting the paste! live and learn. Be not afraid, boldly go where some have feared to tread!

Bucky Ball
February 19th, 2014, 03:51 AM
I only build my own (and occasionally other people's). Much more satisfying and you do save a bit, but you gain a lot more than financially!

Anyhow, one thing I will point out, and anyone that knows me on this forum has possibly seen me banging on about this before, is that in your list of components there is NO mention of a power supply unit. This is, IMHO, just about the most important component and the heart of the machine, so quality here is essential. If you're going to the trouble of putting together a sweet custom machine, DON'T risk the lot with a generic silver box PSU. When they go, and they eventually do as they rarely have inbuilt or decent safety switches, they can take out everything in the box with them, and worse. I've seen a silver box blow smoke, spark and flame out the back of a computer and singe the curtains. They can be fatal.

So, a name brand PSU, look for 85+ efficiency and above (the generic silver boxes are generally <70 percent efficient and are probably better as heating units, great in winter) and that way you, and your carefully selected components, will stay safe for years to come. A good quality PSU will last well beyond its warranty period.

If you skimp on other things, don't do that on the PSU. It is worth paying a little extra for a quality unit. You can get desktop towers, etc. which have a good PSU installed, 85+ and enough safety features to sink (or save) a battleship.

PS: The last link in my signature might be worth a read. It is dated but many of the concepts are still as relevant now as then. There is more on PSUs there too, naturally. ;)

Good luck.

mastablasta
February 20th, 2014, 02:32 PM
problem with preassemled is they will put in interesting CPU and GPU which is what most people will look at. while the rest of components will be cheap crap so they can get some margin. unless it's some quality reputabler company this is mostly how it will go down.

david98
February 23rd, 2014, 12:57 AM
In my opinion a pre built system will be better value as these companies have the buying power to buy there components in large quantities therefore they are able to send those saving's on to us I would though consider buying a tower system without a OS as you more than likely have an old computer with a windows coa you could use or even just use the hdd you are using now and just use the one in your new system for storage.

SuperFreak
February 23rd, 2014, 01:08 AM
problem with preassemled is they will put in interesting CPU and GPU which is what most people will look at. while the rest of components will be cheap crap so they can get some margin. unless it's some quality reputabler company this is mostly how it will go down.

+1

llanitedave
February 23rd, 2014, 05:48 AM
I build for my wife and myself -- partly because I can avoid pre-installed Windows that way, but mostly because it gives me an excuse to buy parts from Newegg. They are my retail heroes due to their refusal to buckle down to trolls, and I support them whenever I can.

Thee
February 23rd, 2014, 05:02 PM
I would always go with building my own computer.

Firstly, because it's a lot of fun for me, I enjoy building my own computers. Secondly, because you can hand pick exact components that you want your computer to have, which you can't with pre-built one,
there is always some component in there that might not suit you or is missing. For example a pre-built computer might have 2TB HDD and integrated graphics card, and you really need only like 500GB HDD and a better graphics card,
so you might not save money, but rather spend your money into something that you need more. Just an example.

1clue
February 23rd, 2014, 05:17 PM
I always build mine.

FWIW I have NEVER come out cheaper than what you can buy preassembled. Frankly I'm never even close. What you get is knowledge of what your hardware is, and probably much better hardware.

As was mentioned a few posts up, they put in interesting CPU, GPU and disk space, but otherwise everything is crap. Disks will be the cheapest crap they can find. And they buy the parts by the truckload, for lower prices than you can possibly get. They assemble them in a factory on an assembly line, so they spend almost no time per unit. You won't be cheaper.

You're much better off to build your own. Buy only the components you need, and then buy those components of the quality you want. But don't expect it to be cheaper.

And don't EVER get a WD green drive. I've bought 5 of them in the past 2 years, and only one is left. That's after following all the recommendations regarding Linux with these drives.

mips
February 23rd, 2014, 06:12 PM
And don't EVER get a WD green drive. I've bought 5 of them in the past 2 years, and only one is left. That's after following all the recommendations regarding Linux with these drives.

For storage purposes the WD Red drives are good but they are not ideal as system drives.

knpoe
February 23rd, 2014, 07:35 PM
build it. :) it will be more rewarding/fun/yours..

1clue
February 23rd, 2014, 07:43 PM
For storage purposes the WD Red drives are good but they are not ideal as system drives.

Really, figure out what you're going to do with the machine and buy a drive for that. Except if it looks like a WD green is best, then go pick whatever's second.

FWIW if you go to Walmart and buy an external drive for backups, it's almost certainly a WD green under the covers.

I think I might just give WD a rest for a few years, I've thrown enough of my money at them for awhile.

Consider a SSD to boot from, and an HDD for swap and files that get overwritten a lot.

d-cosner
February 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
I have two Western Digital Green drives and have never had any problems with them. One drive is 500 GB and the other is 2 TB, they run nice and cool and they are quiet.

Bucky Ball
February 24th, 2014, 04:52 AM
I have two Western Digital Green drives and have never had any problems with them. One drive is 500 GB and the other is 2 TB, they run nice and cool and they are quiet.

The Green is all I've used for years for desktop and external drives and never had an issue either. :-k

coldraven
February 24th, 2014, 01:04 PM
I have not built a machine for many years but I'm thinking to do so soon. One aspect of branded PCs is that they always make them so that you can only fit proprietary spares. Like for example the power supply is L shaped for no good reason and will cost three times the price of a generic one.
I fancy a liquid cooled tower, I want a silent PC.

Bucky Ball
February 24th, 2014, 01:47 PM
One aspect of branded PCs is that they always make them so that you can only fit proprietary spares. Like for example the power supply is L shaped for no good reason and will cost three times the price of a generic one.
I fancy a liquid cooled tower, I want a silent PC.

Mention PSUs and I hear a bell ring! You can get just the chassis with a quality PSU preinstalled and do the rest yourself. Try THIS (http://www.thermaltake.com.au/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002244) or the one I used a few years ago for my mother-in-law's build HERE (http://store.antec.com/Product/enclosure-sonata_family/sonata-iii-500/0-761345-15137-5.aspx), among others ...

CharlesA
February 24th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Even if you don't get a case with the power supply preinstalled, it is dead simple to install one (just make sure the cables are long enough, if you have a large case).

J_Me
February 24th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I fancy a liquid cooled tower, I want a silent PC.Those things still have fans but on the outside of the tower. If you really want zero noise I've heard of people submerging their boards in mineral oil :)

1clue
February 24th, 2014, 08:49 PM
The problem with towers is they vent them the wrong way. Air should come in on the bottom and go out the top. I'd love to see a vertically oriented case with good air flow going vertical.

mips
February 25th, 2014, 09:33 AM
The problem with towers is they vent them the wrong way. Air should come in on the bottom and go out the top. I'd love to see a vertically oriented case with good air flow going vertical.

I saw one some time back but can't remember who makes it.

EDIT: Silverstone Fortress FT02 & FT03 http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_case.php?tno=7&area=en

The MB is rotated 90 degrees so all the slots and ports are at the top.

mattlach
February 27th, 2014, 11:04 PM
I for one encourage people to build their own, but it can be a little daunting at first before you have done it a few times, and realise how simple it really is.

As far as if it makes financial sense, that depends.

If you want to have a low end machine that does Web/Email/Videos etc. well, it's probably going to wind up being cheaper to buy a ready built machine from one of the major manufacturers. They have huge volumes and thus great discounts on all the parts, and it can be tough to beat.

If you want something that plays games, or a higher end machine it starts becoming a lot cheaper to build your own, and in many cases you can build your own machine that will outperform pretty much any pre-assembled PC for less money.