PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Windows Installer wont work?

zRW8b6z
October 5th, 2013, 12:57 PM
I'm at my wits end. I've tried installing through various ways but it just won't work. I'm using windows XP and at this point I don't care if I can dual boot anymore. Could someone please just show me how to install it? It would be a huge help! Oh at my computer can't boot from USB it can only boot from the CD drive. I really want to enjoy ubuntu!!
Tell me if you need anymore editional information about my computer

The Cog
October 5th, 2013, 01:14 PM
These two links should help:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installing

Come back here if you have further questions.
And welcome top the forums.

zRW8b6z
October 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM
That says I need the desktop CD I've tried burning the iso to a cd and rebooting my computer but it didn't work. I even changed the BIOS. Thanks for the welcome :)

zRW8b6z
October 5th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Help? :(

grahammechanical
October 5th, 2013, 04:21 PM
It did not work? How did it not work? Please explain what you see happening on the screen. Oh, What do you mean by "Windows installer?" Are you trying to install Ubuntu inside XP using Wubi.exe? There is lots of information about your machine that you could supply. The hardware specification. The version of Ubuntu. At this point we do not even know if your machine has a DVD drive. Ubuntu ISO images are now too large to fit on a standard CD disk. There could be any number of reasons why it does not work. How can we know?

Regards.

zRW8b6z
October 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Okay so the installer works fine (I'm using this one http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/install-ubuntu-with-windows) but when it reboots I don't get any option to boot up ubuntu, even if I go to the boot menu. I'm trying to use ubuntu 12.04. I've downloaded it onto a 4GB DVD and it didn't work. I do have a DVD drive.
Thanks for trying to help me resolve this issue. I appreciate it.

hakuna_matata
October 5th, 2013, 10:39 PM
....even if I go to the boot menu.
Boot menu of windows XP ? In windows XP run "msconfig.exe" and configure "boot.ini" section. Check if timeout limit is more than 0 seconds and if there is an entry for ubuntu.

edit: Sample for boot.ini with wubi menu entry (last line):

timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP"
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"

edit2: There is no need to burn a desktop CD/DVD for installing with wubi (windows installer), but there is also no need to use wubi.

zRW8b6z
October 6th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Boot menu of windows XP ? In windows XP run "msconfig.exe" and configure "boot.ini" section. Check if timeout limit is more than 0 seconds and if there is an entry for ubuntu.

edit: Sample for boot.ini with wubi menu entry (last line):

timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP"
C:\wubildr.mbr = "Ubuntu"

edit2: There is no need to burn a desktop CD/DVD for installing with wubi (windows installer), but there is also no need to use wubi.

Thank you so much!! You don't know how grateful I am. I have another question though, how do you install things like skype, google chrome, and minecraft on ubuntu?

BlinkinCat
October 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Thank you so much!! You don't know how grateful I am. I have another question though, how do you install things like skype, google chrome, and minecraft on ubuntu?

Hi,

You should start a new thread with descriptive heading for each question in the most appropriate forum.

Cheers - :p

Edit: If this thread has been resolved, you should mark it as solved using the thread tools at top of page.